Is Trump Planning to Renew Attacks on Iran This Weekend?

AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein

This morning Ed pointed out that a vote on a war powers resolution has been pushed back until June. Ed's take (and I think he's right) is that the delays created by Iran's refusal to offer anything at all is wearing thin with Republicans, most of whom are up for re-election in a few more months. Ed's post closes with this:

Advertisement

Johnson has given Trump a brief reprieve, perhaps only a couple of weeks, before a potentially embarrassing vote of confidence in his war leadership. He should take that time to put an end to the IRGC's stall tactics and perfidies and make it clear that the IRGC has no choice but to meet the US and Israel on our terms.

I'm starting to suspect Trump has reached the same conclusion. Why? Well, he just canceled a plan to remain in New Jersey at his golf course in Bedminster for the weekend.

President Trump has cancelled plans to stay in New Jersey this weekend and will return to Washington tonight after an event in New York with Representative Mike Lawler.

Here's the change in his schedule.

That's interesting. Even more striking, Trump is planning to miss his son's wedding this weekend. He made the announcement on Truth Social today.

While I very much wanted to be with my son, Don Jr., and the newest member of the Trump Family, his soon to be wife, Bettina, circumstances pertaining to Government, and my love for the United States of America, do not allow me to do so. I feel it is important for me to remain in Washington, D.C., at the White House during this important period of time. Congratulations to Don and Bettina! President DONALD J. TRUMP

Advertisement

So something is going on. It's apparently important that Trump is at the White House this weekend and not anywhere else, even his son's wedding. There must be a reason for that. 

One obvious possibility is that he's finally calling time on Iran's delay tactics. If an attack were about to kick off tonight or tomorrow, that would explain why he needs to leave New Jersey, miss the wedding and be at the White House instead. The media would eat him alive if he were at his son's wedding celebrating while an attack was taking place.

But there's another alternative. What if Trump isn't returning for an attack but to sign a deal. Ed noticed this tweet from Noah Rothman referencing terms of a possible deal.

The link goes to this Substack piece by Alex Marquardt:

As expected, it would be a multi-step process, building on a previous 14-point proposal. The proposal is a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) that sets up negotiations toward a “final deal.” It kicks the can down the road on the toughest issues so that the war can end.

Most notable: a large economic fund for damages to Iran, waivers on Iranian oil sales, eventual unfreezing of funds, lifting of sanctions and nothing firm on nuclear enrichment.

Advertisement

This deal seems pretty favorable to Iran, especially if they're not even committing up front to handing over their bomb-making materials. So I'm a bit skeptical of this. As Rothman says, if Trump was going to settle for this deal, he could have done that weeks ago.

Secretary of War Pete Hegseth is supposed to travel to West Point tomorrow to give a graduation speech but he could miss that if necessary. As far as other tea leaves go, some observers have noted that Iran's airspace cleared out two days ago.

The same account posted this on Wednesday:

Remember, Trump said earlier this week that he came within an hour of launching new attacks but decided to give Iran a few more days. 

Advertisement

That was Tuesday. It has been a few more days and nothing has changed. My guess is that Trump is returning to the White House to launch another attack, the one he called off at the last minute earlier this week. But I can't rule out the opposite possibility which is that he's going to announce some kind of deal instead. But given the kind of threats Iran has been making and their unwillingness to commit to handing over their nuclear material, that seems less likely.

Either way, I think we can expect some major developments on Iran in the next 12 hours. Stay tuned. If there is going to be a strike, it might start later tonight.

Editor’s Note: Thanks to President Trump and his administration’s bold leadership, we are respected on the world stage, and our enemies are being put on notice.

Help us continue to report on the administration’s peace through strength foreign policy and its successes. Join HotAir VIP and use promo code FIGHT to receive 60% off your membership.

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Trending on HotAir Videos

Advertisement
John Sexton 3:20 PM | May 22, 2026
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement