Last weekend Chicago had a second round of looting in addition to 40 people shot. This weekend there doesn’t seem to have been more looting but the violence was up. There were 64 people shot and five killed over the weekend. One of the injured was a 12-year-old boy. The Chicago Sun Times has the breakdown but it’s so lengthy that I’m only going to highlight the minors who were shot:
- A 14-year-old boy was also shot in the left arm and was driven to Mount Sinai Hospital in fair condition, police said. He told investigators he was standing on the sidewalk when he heard gunshots and felt pain.
- Most recently, a 15-year-old boy was shot early Monday in South Shore. Officers responding to reports of shots fired at 3:14 a.m. in the 7300 block of South South Shore Drive found him on the sidewalk with a gunshot wound to his right shoulder, police said. He was taken to Comer Children’s Hospital in good condition.
- Sunday afternoon, a 17-year-old boy was shot in Rogers Park on the North Side. The teen was shot in the abdomen about 4:05 p.m. in the 2000 block of West Chase Avenue, police said. He was taken to Saint Francis Hospital in Evanston, where he was in good condition.
- A 16-year-old was shot Saturday evening in Bronzeville on the South Side. Several people got out of a dark-colored vehicle about 10 p.m. and shot the teen as he stood outside in the 500 block of East 47th Street, police said. He was struck in the leg and taken to Comer Children’s Hospital, where his condition was stabilized,
- Early Saturday morning, a 17-year-old boy was shot in West Lawn on the Southwest Side. He was on the sidewalk with a group of people at 12:14 a.m. in the 3600 block of West 70th Street when a male got out of a white SUV and started shooting, according to police. The boy was shot in the leg and taken to Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn in good condition. The shooter got back in the SUV and fled the scene.
- Another teenager was shot about half an hour earlier in Back of the Yards on the South Side. The 16-year-old was outside at 11:48 p.m. Friday in the 4400 block of South Hermitage Avenue when he heard gunshots and felt pain, police said. He told investigators he didn’t see the shooter or know where the shots came from. He was hit in the hip and went to Stroger Hospital on his own in fair condition.
- Earlier that evening, a 12-year-old boy was shot in Woodlawn on the South Side. He was with a group of males about 8:10 p.m. in the 6400 block of South Ellis Avenue when he was shot in the leg, police said. He was hospitalized in fair condition.
As of now the police have no one in custody. In the case of the 15-year-old mentioned above, he was described by police as “uncooperative.” That’s the pattern with most of this violence. No one talks to the police because the gangs presumably want to settle this themselves. The ‘snitches get stiches’ motto ensures that we’ll likely have another banner weekend of violence to discuss next week.
Even as I write this, Chicago has already topped itself. This afternoon a 9-year-old (!) was shot in the ear, meaning he probably came about an inch away from being murdered.
According to authorities, the boy was riding in a vehicle when another car pulled up alongside and a person inside opened fire. The boy was the only one hit in the shooting, and the other vehicle fled the scene.
Here’s an AP interview with a Chicago resident who says things are “getting scary.”
Maybe police would have more manpower to investigate these crimes if they weren’t fighting with BLM protesters. Here’s a local news report on the 24 people who were arrested during protests Saturday. Four of them have been charged with felonies.