Georgetown student sues college, challenges expulsion over admissions scandal

There is a new twist to the neverending Operation Varsity Blues saga. A Georgetown student caught up in the college admissions scandal is suing the university over his expulsion. To be more specific, he wants to be able to keep his college credits and transfer to another school. A rising senior, his lawsuit claims he is being denied due process by Georgetown University and he seeks to stop the expulsion.

Adam Semprevivo, 21 years old, is the son of a wealthy Los Angeles business. Stephen Semprevivo pleaded guilty to paying $400,000 to get his son admitted to Georgetown University. That amount puts his father in a category with Lori Loughlin, who along with her husband is charged with paying $500,000 to USC. Many of the students in this nationwide scandal have been expelled but Semprevivo is the first one I’ve read about to file a lawsuit to prevent disciplinary action.

The story goes that Adam’s father paid big bucks to Rick Singer, the corrupt college admissions counselor, who in turn worked with Georgetown’s tennis coach. Though Adam didn’t play tennis competitively, he was recruited as a tennis player. He was admitted to Georgetown in 2016. It looks like his father wasn’t the only one doing the dirty work, either, as Adam allegedly also followed Singer’s directions. He never joined Georgetown’s tennis team.

In court documents, prosecutors allege both Semprivivo and his son followed instructions from Singer, the mastermind of the college admissions scheme, to submit “fabricated representations” about Adam Semprevivo’s “purported tennis experience.” The evidence includes emails Adam Semprevivo allegedly sent to Coach Ernst and an application essay that “falsely indicated that he played tennis during all four years of high school and was ranked in single and doubles tennis.”

According to prosecutors, Semprevivo’s application listed him as a “CIF Scholar Athlete” and “Academic All American” in tennis and basketball and claimed he made the “Nike Federation all Academic Athletic Team” in tennis. Court documents claim records from the United States Tennis Association do not match any records for Adam Semprevivo, and there is no mention of tennis in his high school transcripts.

The lawsuit seeks an injunction against “revoking earned academic credits and subjecting Semprevivo to academic discipline” including expulsion, according to CBS News. The odd part is that he doesn’t deny cheating to win admission to the school. Instead, he blames the school for not verifying the information on his application. Now that takes nerve. It sounds as though the young man doesn’t think he should be penalized for the university’s lax process of information verification.

Georgetown fired the tennis coach in 2018, according to the lawsuit. Officials won’t comment on pending litigation but claim to be victims in the college admissions scandal.

Semprevivo’s lawsuit argues Georgetown University is “being disingenuous in its position” in pursuing discipline or expulsion because the university had been aware “as early as 2017 of the issues concerning Coach Ernst,” and fired him in 2018, before the college admissions scandal became public knowledge in March 2019. Georgetown’s student newspaper reported the university investigated Ernst’s recruiting tactics as early as December 2017.

It was only a matter of hours after Semprevivo’s lawsuit was filed before Georgetown moved to expel him. Full speed ahead.

Just 10 hours after the lawsuit was filed, school officials informed Semprevivo of their intention to expel him from Georgetown and rescind his original offer of admission, his lawyer, David Kenner, told The Daily Beast.

“By rescinding the original offer, Adam will lose his credits for three years at Georgetown,” Kenner said, adding that the lawsuit will now be amended to prevent such action from the university. “If they do that, Adam will have to essentially start from scratch, regardless of the time and money he spent on this school.”

The young man doesn’t want to start all over again but I don’t think he’ll garner much sympathy from hard-working students who followed the rules and busted their butts to be admitted into a prestigious university. He shows a true sense of entitlement with this lawsuit. He and his father allegedly committed fraud and yet I haven’t read a single word of remorse or an apology from him. He should be happy that prosecutors haven’t come after him, given the email trail between him and the tennis coach. Yet.

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Trending on HotAir Videos