Brad Pitt’s production company has purchased rights to a film based on the investigative work of two female reporters at the New York Times who brought the Harvey Weinstein story to light last year and helped kick off the #MeToo movement. From Deadline:
Annapurna and Plan B have partnered to acquire the rights to give Spotlight-like treatment to the story of how New York Times reporters Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey worked with editor Rebecca Corbett to break the biggest scandal story Hollywood has seen in decades, the one that took down Harvey Weinstein. The stories landed the reporters a Pulitzer earlier this month…
The thrust of the film isn’t Weinstein or his scandal. This is about an all-women team of journalists who persevered through threats of litigation and intimidation, to break a game-changing story, told in a procedural manner like Spotlight and All the President’s Men…
Plan B, the production partnership between Brad Pitt, Dede Gardner and Jeremy Kleiner, have made such topical films as Best Picture winners 12 Years a Slave and Moonlight, and the producer last year relocated its first-look deal from Paramount to Annapurna…Annapurna, in turn, regularly sparks to content with social relevance, from last year’s Detroit to Zero Dark Thirty.
Weinstein will never work again but it remains to be seen if his story will end in a prison sentence. Investigators in Los Angeles, London, and New York have been looking at cases in which he might be charged with sexual assault or rape. Today, the Associated Press reports a well-known prosecutor has taken over the Weinstein case:
A longtime Manhattan prosecutor who led the ultimately abandoned sex assault probe against former International Monetary Fund leader Dominique Strauss-Kahn has now taken over the rape investigation of Harvey Weinstein, two people familiar with the case said Thursday.
Joan Illuzzi-Orbon, who also won a conviction in a notorious decades-old case of a missing child pictured on milk cartons, has been working on the Weinstein investigation since about the beginning of the month…
The Manhattan district attorney’s office and the NYPD have been looking into allegations made by at least two women who say Weinstein assaulted them. One, actress Paz de La Huerta, said he raped her twice in 2010. A second, Lucia Evans, said Weinstein forced her to perform oral sex on him in his Miramax office in Manhattan in 2004; at the time, Evans was a college student trying to break into acting.
At least five cases involving Weinstein have been forward to the District Attorney’s office in Los Angeles but all of them were apparently outside the 10-year statute of limitations that existed until recently.
There is a certain kind of justice to a film about Weinstein’s crimes and hypocrisy. The man who devoted his time and money to social justice causes will be held up as a case study of injustice. The Hollywood ecosystem that made Weinstein into a “god” will now render him as a monster. Of course, I’d still rather see him serving a long stint in prison for his alleged crimes, but at least it’s something.