The riots in Portland never end

There was a riot declared by police in Portland last night after a standoff between police and protesters outside the Portland Police Association building. Tuesday was the 46th straight night of protests in the city.

About 120 people marched from Kenton Park to the Portland Police Association building around 7:30 p.m. The one-story building sits in a commercial and residential area of North Lombard Street. The crowd soon grew beyond 200 people, who chanted “George Floyd” and “Quit your job.”

At least two dozen police officers in riot gear surrounded the building near Campbell Avenue. Soon after demonstrators gathered there, officers detained at least one protester. Police ordered the crowd to stay out of the street and not block traffic.

The standoff continued for hours.

This video of a police officer smacking a protester’s phone out of his hands went viral.

The phone guy was really angry about it.

At 12:15, after ordering protesters to disperse, the police declared a riot.

An arrest was made:

Police pushed the protesters back a couple of blocks but many of them made their way back to the PPA building. Protesters held a “die in.”

The standoff continued past 1 am while a construction worker put up plywood to protect the building’s windows. Police finally left but protesters returned and apparently set a mattress up against the building and tried to set it on fire. Police returned and cleared the area again.

Police later posted photos of some of the objects thrown at officers (plus some mugshots).

Police released this video showing what the protest looks like from their side of the line:

Fox News reports that the protests in Portland have been ongoing for six straight weeks.

In Portland, Oregon’s largest city, those demonstrations have raged for six weeks straight, and local businesses have reported $23 million in losses due to looting and rioting that have gripped its downtown area since the end of May…

Local officials have criticized federal law enforcement and even President Trump for the havoc. Meanwhile, one group of anti-capitalist, anti-fascist teens who call themselves the Pacific Northwest Youth Liberation Front has used social media to organize throughout the city.

The Seattle Times reported the group uses social media to promote rallies, provide rioters with tactical advice and offer commentary on the gatherings that have led to clashes with police. Its goal is to upend the U.S. political system.

While last night’s protest was declared a riot, it wasn’t as violent as what happened over the weekend. On Saturday night, a protester holding a boom box was shot in the head with a less-than-lethal munition and seriously injured. Here’s video of the incident:

And here’s a description of the seriousness of the injury:

One video shows the protester holding a speaker while standing across the street from the courthouse between two parked cars. Police, who appear to be federal officers, throw a canister that lands at his feet, which he lightly tosses away from him and toward the officers. It lands partway across the street.

A few seconds later, a firing sound can be heard, and the man collapses to the ground, dropping the speaker. The video shows no sign of aggressive provocation on the part of the protester, who appeared to be standing alone…

His mother said his face and skull were fractured and that he finished facial reconstructive surgery early Sunday morning.

“He still has a tube in his skull to drain the blood,” Desiree La Bella, Donavan’s mother, told The Oregonian/OregonLive.

That same weekend, a protester struck a federal officer with a large hammer:

Here’s the video:

And the suspect:

I’ll update this story if things get out of hand again tonight.

Trending on HotAir Videos

Duane Patterson 10:00 PM | July 11, 2024