If Syria got short shrift in last week’s Sunday talkfests, it’s occupying nearly every square inch of the territory this week. So far, only Fox News Sunday seems to be giving any ground on other issues, with a tête à tête between Rep. Pete King and former CIA covert agent Mike Baker on intelligence leaks and the developments this week on the Edward Snowden case. CNN’s State of the Union will have a roundtable discussion on whether Bill Clinton can save ObamaCare, for some reason. Otherwise, it’s all Syria all morning long with both featured guests and roundtables. The most potent combination to watch will probably be Senators Jack Reed and Jim Inhofe on Fox, but Bob Menendez vs Rand Paul on Meet the Press might have some fireworks, too.
By the way, look at the list below and see how many White House figures or current DoD officials are making the rounds. That number would be zero, barring any last-minute changes. Very odd, considering the proximity of military action in a brand-new theater for American troops. John Podhoretz called this a classic Labor Day pre-tape problem:
It would still have been a good platform to make their case to the American people. The shows seem to have no problem getting others in Washington to talk about the issue, pre-taped or not. And Jim Geraghty has a fine suggestion for an admin official:
@EdMorrissey Won't Susan Rice be available to discuss what she saw on YouTube?
— Jim Geraghty (@jimgeraghty) August 31, 2013
Update, 9/1: In a late change to all of the listings below, Yahoo says John Kerry will make the full Ginsburg today.
- ABC’s This Week: Former Joint Chiefs of Staff Vice Chair Gen. James Cartwright USMC (Ret.), Vali Nasr, Terry Moran, Martha Raddatz on Syria; roundtable with James Carville and Mary Matalin, Peggy Noonan, and Tavis Smiley.
- CBS’ Face The Nation: Sen. John McCain, Sen. Saxby Chambliss, Sen. Tim Kaine, Anthony Cordesman
- CNN’s State of the Union: Reps. Eliot Engel, Scott Rigell, Chris Murphy; Gen. Anthony Zinni (ret); roundtable with Donna Brazil, David Frum, Cornel Belcher and Ross Douthat (via Politico)
- Fox News Sunday: Sen Jack Reed (D-RI) and Sen James Inhofe (R-OK); Rep. Pete King and former CIA Covert Operations Officer Mike Baker; roundtable with Gen. Jack Keane, former Senator Joe Lieberman, Jennifer Rubin, Charles Lane
- NBC’s Meet the Press: Sen. Robert Menendez, Sen. Rand Paul; Ann Curry; roundtable with William Kristol, Gwen Ifill, Eugene Robinson, BBC News anchor Katty Kay.