“The danger of not acting was greater than the danger posed by acting,” Mike Pence tells George Stephanopoulos about the strike on Qassem Soleimani, but Stephanopoulos isn’t his intended audience. Neither are Good Morning America‘s viewers, at least not primarily. The vice president aimed his remarks today at Congress, where efforts began today to put a leash on the administration’s ability to react to Iran and its provocations.
And while Trump wants to end the “endless wars,” Pence insists, he’s not going to withdraw troops in the face of Iranian aggression either:
Vice President Mike Pence says the threat from Iran “continues to be very real,” but so far the regime appears to be standing down.
“We’re ready. We’re making it very clear we’re not going to tolerate violence,” Pence said in an interview Thursday with ABC News chief anchor George Stephanopoulos on “Good Morning America.” …
Pence argued that Trump’s directive not only “took the world’s most dangerous terrorist off the battlefield,” but also “sent a very clear message that the United States will defend our people, will defend our interests.”
“He was right to act, he had a duty to act,” the vice president said, noting that the Trump administration had “compelling” intelligence that Soleimani was planning imminent attacks on U.S. forces and personnel in the region. The administration, however, has provided no evidence of those plans.
“The danger of not acting was greater than the danger posed by acting,” Pence added.