PGA Tour abandoning Trump's Miami golf course for Mexico

Since 1962 the PGA has included a stop at the Trump Doral resort in Miami on its tour. But, starting in 2017, the tour will abandon the course owned by presumptive GOP nominee Donald Trump for a course in Mexico City.

ESPN has the history of the PGA Tour at Doral:

PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem is expected to announce the details of the move from Doral, which has been the site of a PGA Tour event since 1962.Adam Scott won the WGC-Cadillac Championship in March at Doral, where the likes of Jack Nicklaus, Billy Casper, Lee Trevino, Raymond Floyd, Greg Norman, Ernie Els, Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson all have won.

Cadillac did not renew its sponsorship of the World Golf Championship event and the PGA Tour had been in the process of trying to find a replacement.

Butch Buchholz, the event’s chairman, told The Miami Herald that he was informed of the move by the PGA Tour on Tuesday night.

“I believe they are sincere when they said they didn’t want to leave an event with a 54-year history,” Buchholz said. “They’ve got an obligation to their board and they couldn’t find a sponsor, so they had to move. They don’t have a choice. [The PGA Tour] didn’t have a choice. If you don’t have a sponsor what can you do?”

Trump broke the news Tuesday night on Fox News: (Politico)

“I just heard that the PGA Tour is taking their tournament out of Miami and moving it to Mexico,” Trump said of the move during an interview on Fox News Tuesday night. “Cadillac’s been a great sponsor, but they’re moving it to Mexico. They’re moving it to Mexico City which, by the way, I hope they have kidnapping insurance.”

“They’re moving it to Mexico City,” Trump continued. “And I’m saying, you know, what’s going on here? It is so sad when you look at what’s going on with our country.”

In December, the PGA signaled that they might dump the Trump venue from the tour in light of the GOP candidate’s positions on illegal immigration and tougher scrutiny for Muslims seeking to gain entry into the United States. At the time, Golf magazine reported on the PGA’s position:

“We continue to stand by our earlier statement, and the statement of other golf organizations, that Mr. Trump’s comments are inconsistent with our strong commitment to an inclusive and welcoming environment in the game of golf. The PGA Tour has had a 53-year commitment to the Doral community, the greater Miami area and the charities that have benefited from the tournament. Given this commitment, we are moving forward with holding the 2016 event at the Blue Monster. Immediately after the completion of the 2016 tournament, we will explore all options regarding the event’s future.”

Today, Trump issued an official statement on the matter and points to the loss of American jobs for the sake of, what appears to be, the PGA’s attempt to mollify the politically correct mob that started a petition months ago to bully the group into making this move.

“It is a sad day for Miami, the United States and the game of golf, to have the PGA Tour consider moving the World Golf Championships, which has been hosted in Miami for the last 55 years, to Mexico. No different than Nabisco, Carrier and so many other American companies, the PGA Tour has put profit ahead of thousands of American jobs, millions of dollars in revenue for local communities and charities and the enjoyment of hundreds of thousands of fans who make the tournament an annual tradition.  This decision only further embodies the very reason I am running for President of the United States.”

The PGA may be terrified of the PC Police and angry mobs of perpetually offended whiners but one of their greatest champions is not. Jack Nicklaus officially endorsed Trump last week. 

TrumpGolf