Family of 'clock boy' files lawsuit against former school

Ahmed Mohamed, also known as clock boy, is the teenager who brought a disassembled clock to his Texas high school in a pencil case last year. He was questioned and then arrested for bringing a hoax bomb to school. His family moved to Qatar last year but returned in June and hired an attorney. Now the family is suing the school district over Ahmed’s treatment. From the Washington Post:

Citing a pattern of disproportionate disciplinary actions for black students in the Irving Independent School District (ISD) and a history of anti-Muslim sentiment in Irving, the lawsuit alleges that Ahmed was discriminated against based on his race and religion. It also claims his Fourth Amendment rights were violated when he was interrogated by police and principal Daniel Cummings for over an hour without the presence of his parents before he was arrested.

No specific dollar amount is included in the lawsuit, but the Post notes the family previously threatened to sue the school for $15 million. The AP has a bit more on the lawsuit:

The lawsuit names Irving Independent School District, the city of Irving and the school’s principal. District spokeswoman Lesley Weaver said in a statement Monday that attorneys for the district will review the suit and determine a course of action.

“Irving ISD continues to deny violating the student’s rights and will respond to claims in accordance with court rules,” she said, adding that school officials for now will have no further comment.

Both the Associated Press and the Washington Post describe what Ahmed brought to school as a “homemade clock.” In fact, it was not a homemade anything. It was an inexpensive, store-bought clock radio which he had removed from its plastic case and placed inside a pencil case. All of this was hashed over a year ago when this story was dominating the news. The clock Ahmed brought to school included printed circuit boards and custom ribbon cables. It had AC power (like a store bought clock) and a 9V battery back up. It’s telling that even a year later the media can’t get this story right.