Trump: where's my Secret Service protection?

The Donald gave a wide ranging interview to The Hill yesterday which was particularly notable for one comment he made about the Secret Service. Since he’s the frontrunner by a wide margin, where is his detail?

Donald Trump on Tuesday said the Secret Service should be giving him protection — andhe suggested partisan politics might be why the agency isn’t providing it.

In a 90-minute interview with The Hill, the Republican presidential front-runner pointed out that he has attracted large crowds just like Barack Obama did eight years ago as a White House candidate and that by this point in the 2008 cycle, the Illinois senator had Secret Service protection.

Trump doesn’t, and he’s not happy about it.

“I want to put them on notice because they should have a liability,” he said. “Personally, I think if Obama were doing as well as me he would’ve had Secret Service [earlier]. I have by far the biggest crowds.”

It sounds like an odd question until you consider that he’s right about Barack Obama. The current President had a Secret Service detail at the beginning of May in the year before his first election. We’re nearly six months further into this cycle and they haven’t proactively approached Trump about it. It’s worth noting that in 2007 there were only two candidates in serious contention at this point as measured by the polls and Hillary Clinton already had a security detail by virtue of being the former First Lady. Trump is in first place but it’s a crowded field with a lot of big names in it, so I’m not sure how many details they can afford to dole out. (I’m not making any excuses for the Secret Service here… just noting that they have limits to their resources like anyone else.)

Trump already has his own security team, though I’m not sure how they stack up against the Secret Service. Then again, we’re talking about the same people who can’t seem to manage locking the White House door or keeping drones off the lawn, so Trump’s team might actually be better. For their part, the agency is saying that they never received a request from Trump for coverage and if they’d gotten one it would have been reviewed under the same process as anyone else. Perhaps Trump wasn’t aware that he could file a formal request?

One other highlight from the interview was when Donald defended his previous support for a single payer health care system.

“People think this is not traditionally Republican, but I think it is because I don’t want to see people dying on the streets and neither do other Republicans want to see that,” Trump said.

He added that policymakers cannot let people die “because they don’t have money.”

“I’m not a conservative that wants to take care of 60 percent of the people and let the other 40 percent rot in hell,” Trump said. “That’s not going to be me. You can’t do that and I don’t think most Republicans want to do that either.”

Trump’s been promising to put out his health care plan for a while now, but as of this morning it’s still not up on his website. We won’t bother debating the tidbits he’s dropped on that subject so far until we actually have it in hand, but if he’s basically planning on expanding Obamacare then it’s sure to be a lively discussion indeed.

Trending on HotAir Video