Just hours after Biden’s inauguration on Wednesday, his administration announced the US will cancel a planned pullout from the WHO in July that had been announced by the Trump administration.

The top US infectious diseases expert said the new administration “will cease the drawdown of US staff seconded to the WHO” and resume “regular engagement” with WHO.

“The United States also intends to fulfill its financial obligations to the organization,” added Fauci, who referred to WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus as “my dear friend.”

He said Washington planned to “work constructively with partners to strengthen and importantly reform the WHO.”