The Census Bureau is concerned about errors and inaccuracies threatening its decennial count, according to an internal document made available by House Democrats, as the agency attempts to complete its work under a compressed time frame.

Census had sought to push back its deadlines after getting off to a late start earlier this year due to the novel coronavirus, but abruptly scratched those plans after Congress failed to adjust its statutory deadlines. While bureau officials have publicly said the integrity of the count would not be impacted, the leaked presentation warned a series of options for adjusting plans or eliminating activities would all create risks.

The presentation, dated Aug. 3, appeared to be prepared for Commerce Department Secretary Wilbur Ross, according to House Oversight and Reform Committee Chairwoman Rep. Carolyn Maloney, D-N.Y., who said the document showed the new Census schedule “could significantly degrade its accuracy and completeness.” Census officials said in the presentation they prepared it “in response to your request to provide an apportionment count by the statutory deadline of Dec. 31, 2020.” Maloney said it was not prepared for lawmakers and was obtained from a source other than Census leadership.