NATO is removing some of the trainers who have been working with Iraqi soldiers battling the Islamic State, in the aftermath of the American killing of Maj. Gen. Qassim Suleimani of Iran in Baghdad.

The NATO secretary general, Jens Stoltenberg, announced on Monday that the training had been temporarily suspended.

For the security of NATO personnel, the organization said in a statement that it would be taking precautions — including “the temporary repositioning of some personnel to different locations both inside and outside Iraq.”

NATO, which has been running the training operation since 2018, will continue to maintain a presence in Iran and remains committed to fighting international terrorism, an official said, while refusing to divulge details about troop movements.