The nationwide immigration raids that President Trump said would begin Sunday failed to materialize on the streets of major U.S. cities, even as his statement cast a cloud of fear that kept many families indoors. Immigration enforcement authorities said their plans to track down migrants with deportation orders would continue, but their operations over the weekend appeared more akin to routine actions rather than the mass roundups the president promised.

Immigrants and advocates had been bracing for the arrests, which Trump last warned of on Friday, saying he wanted agents “to take people out and take them back to their countries.” But federal law enforcement officials said they worried that the unusual public disclosure of the plan endangered officers and threatened their effectiveness…

In an interview with The Washington Post, ICE acting director Matthew Albence declined to confirm whether a widespread operation was underway Sunday.