Mr. Weiner will plead guilty to a single charge of transferring obscene material to a minor, pursuant to a plea agreement with the United States attorney’s office in Manhattan, one of the people said. Mr. Weiner surrendered to the F.B.I. early Friday morning.
The federal authorities have been investigating reports that, beginning in January 2016, Mr. Weiner, then 51, exchanged sexually explicit messages with a 15-year-old girl in North Carolina.
Continue reading the main story
Key Moments in the Downfall of Anthony Weiner OCT. 28, 2016
Anthony Weiner Confirms Child Welfare Agency Is Investigating Him SEPT. 1, 2016
Anthony Weiner Faces New Scrutiny After Report About Girl, 15 SEPT. 22, 2016
Anthony Weiner, Who Always Had Something to Say, Goes Silent AUG. 31, 2016
The plea covers conduct by Mr. Weiner from January through March of last year, the person said. A likely result of the plea is that Mr. Weiner would end up as a registered sex offender, although a final determination has yet to be made, the person added.
The charge carries a potential sentence of between zero and 10 years in prison, meaning Mr. Weiner could avoid prison. The ultimate sentence would be determined by a judge.