“As Californians, we have to pull together and save water in every way we can,” the governor declared. “Overall, we’re looking for a 25% aggregate reduction….

“People should realize, we’re in a new era. The idea of your nice little green grass getting lots of water every day, that’s going to be a thing of the past…. In many parts of California, they’re living in a desert or semi-arid desert and we have to begin to live in more conformity to what nature makes available.”

But wait a second: He wasn’t demanding a 25% cut in overall water use. He was seeking 25% of 20% — equal to 5% of the total. His target is only the 20% of developed water that flows to urban use. Agriculture devours the other 80%.

Reporters asked, what about that?

“Agriculture has already suffered major cutbacks,” he replied. “A lot of people are letting their land go fallow. Trees are dying. Farmers have been hit very hard.”