Russian military officials denied responsibility Friday for an airstrike in northern Syria that killed dozens of Turkish troops, as the risk of a major military confrontation between Russia and Turkey in the region escalated sharply.
Russia’s Ministry of Defense said in a statement that no Russian jets had been operating in the area of the strike carried out Thursday in Idlib province…
Rahmi Dogan, governor of Hatay province in Turkey, announced that 33 soldiers were killed. Dozens more were reported wounded.
The Russian statement said Moscow had warned Syria to cease attacks on anti-regime fighters in the Behun region when it became aware of the Turkish casualties.