The men of #MeToo go back to work

Matt Lauer, for instance, is reportedly planning a comeback. So is Charlie Rose. So is Garrison Keillor, who has two sold-out Twin Cities live shows scheduled for November. Of late, the former radio hosts Jian Ghomeshi and John Hockenberry have tested the waters for a potential return from exile with essays in the New York Review of Books and Harper’s, respectively. (A brief pause to note that one of the sleaziest abusers of the casting couch during his tenure as an NBC reality star currently sits in the Oval Office.)

In the comedy world, Aziz Ansari—who himself became a #MeToo flashpoint over the question of whether he might be guilty of creepiness, aggressive behavior on a date, or simple hypocrisy—is performing stand-up shows again. More questionably, so is Louis C.K., who admitted last year to masturbating, unsolicited, in front of female comedians whom he characterized as fans.

On television, there’s Matthew Weiner, whose $70 million new show The Romanoffs debuted this Friday a year after a Mad Men writer claimed that he told her she was obligated to let him see her naked. (Weiner has since denied that he said such a thing.) And there’s James Franco, accused of sexual misconduct and unprofessional behavior by several women, who continues to star in David Simon and George Pelecanos’s HBO show, The Deuce. (Franco has also contended that the allegations against him are not accurate.)