White House aide shoots down smaller immigration deal

A top White House aide said Monday that the administration isn’t open to narrowing down an immigration deal — an idea being floated by a key group of bipartisan senators.

“No, we really think we’ve narrowed it down, we really do,” White House legislative director Marc Short said, after being asked if the White House is open to a smaller agreement that would pair enhanced border security measures with a Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) fix.

Short added that the White House felt it had offered a “pretty strong compromise” with its immigration framework released late last week.

The White House released the outline of its proposal on Thursday. It included a pathway to citizenship for roughly 1.8 million immigrants brought into the country illegally as children. That’s in exchange for tens of billions of dollars for the wall on the Mexican border and other provisions aimed at limiting legal immigration.