On Friday, a spokesman for the Philippines’ military said that 72 Philippine peacekeepers had been surrounded on two bases nearby and that the rebels were demanding that they surrender their weapons.
The United Nations said both of those bases were attacked early Saturday by “armed elements.” Reinforcements reached the first base, and all of the 32 Philippine soldiers there were able to escape to safety.
The second base took fire from mortars and machine guns, the United Nations said. The peacekeepers inside returned fire and kept the attackers from entering, but fighting kept the peacekeepers stuck in the area.
The United Nations also withdrew its personnel from an observation post because of the firing nearby. No personnel were hurt.