Report: Turkey blocking U.S. handover of Libya mission to NATO

So far, the NATO alliance has been unable to reach an agreement on participation in the military implementation of the no-fly zone. Turkey is resisting the measure and is calling for a new review of other possible measures the alliance could take in Libya. Ankara has also called for an immediate Western cease-fire, with Turkish officials calling on NATO to give greater consideration in its discussions to the possibility of civilian deaths, a NATO diplomat told the news agency AFP under the condition of anonymity. Ankara has rejected any NATO intervention against Libya, including the implementation of a no-fly zone.

Advertisement

“Military intervention by NATO in Libya or any other country would be totally counterproductive,” Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said, according to the Anatolia news agency on Monday. “In addition to being counterproductive, such an operation could have dangerous consequences.”

Turkey appears to be concerned about its standing in the Muslim world. On Sunday, the Arab League, which at first had supported calls for a no-fly zone, spoke out critically of Western powers’ heavy bombing, saying it had resulted in civilian deaths.

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Trending on HotAir Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement