Philly cop ambushed "in the name of Islam" with ... stolen police gun; Update: Got slap on the wrist in 2013?

A police officer in Philadelphia took three gunshots to his left arm in an ambush, but will survive. The gunman was taken into custody after firing 13 shots into the car, and has since confessed. In fact, according to multiple reports, he has even confessed to a specific motive:


Commissioner Ross says the suspect has given a full confession, saying he did it in the name of Islam.

Sources say the suspect’s full confession of the alleged attack was written down and recorded on video.

Police sources identify the suspect as Edward Archer, of Yeadon.

“When you look at the video, this is one of the scariest things I’ve ever seen,” Commissioner Ross said. “This guy tried to execute the police officer. The police officer had no idea he was coming. It’s amazing he’s alive.”

Mayor Jim Kenney wasted no time in declaring that “there are too many guns on the streets,” but he might want to take that up with law enforcement. It turns out that the gun used in the shooting was, er …

In a press conference, Commissioner Ross said the gun used in the attack was a stolen police firearm.

D’oh! I’m shocked, shocked that this criminal didn’t purchase the firearm legally for the purpose of committing an assassination. It might be interesting to hear how this pistol got stolen, and how it ended up in Archer’s hands. The police department and prosecutors will be keen to know that as well. As for Mayor Kenney, perhaps he should remember the wise advice that it is better to keep one’s mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.


Thankfully, Hartnett will survive, but it’s practically a miracle. The video shows Archer shooting at point-blank range. Ten of his 13 shots missed, and the other three did not fatally or mortally wound his target. After a jury hears this case, it’s a sure bet Archer won’t get another chance.

Update: Jammie Wearing Fool notes the erstwhile assassin’s history:

The man who is suspected of opening fire on a Philadelphia Police officer in West Philly late Thursday night pleaded guilty in 2013 to an armed assault that had taken place a few blocks away the year prior — however a plea deal kept him out of prison. …

Archer was tracked down by police in 2013 and faced bevy of charges that included aggravated assault, conspiracy, terroristic threats, simple assault and others that involved firearms. He pleaded guilty last year to carrying a gun without a license, a third-degree felony, and simple assault, a second-degree misdemeanor.

According to court documents, Archer was sentenced to nine to 13 months in prison, was allowed to count time served and was paroled. Records show he was arrested April 14, 2013 and was released April 30, 2013 after posting partial bail.


I haven’t seen any other sourcing on this, so we’ll take this as under advisement for the time being.

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Trending on HotAir Videos