Previously, Senator Blanche Lincoln (D-AR) had only wavered in public on Card Check, along with a few other Democrats. Yesterday, she fully and publicly committed to opposing Big Labor’s crown jewel of legislation, which should drive the stake a little deeper into the heart of the Orwellian named Employee Free Choice Act. Unlike Arlen Specter, Lincoln rejected the bill itself as well as its timing:
“I cannot support that bill,” Lincoln said, according to one attendee. “Cannot support that bill in its current form. Cannot support and will not support moving it forward in its current form.”
The measure, better known as the “card check” bill, has been fought by business groups and championed by labor, after intense lobbying by both factions. …
“While I may not have been clear about my position in the past, I am stating today that I cannot support Employee Free Choice Act in its current form and I can’t support efforts to bring it to Senate consideration in its current form,” Lincoln said in a statement late Monday afternoon.
Card Check now looks dead enough that Harry Reid may well decide not to bring it to the floor at all. He has no Republican support, and this statement from Lincoln strongly implies that she will join a filibuster to keep Reid from “bring[ing] it to Senate consideration”. Dianne Feinstein has indicated opposition, as have Tim Johnson and Ben Nelson, the latter who has also committed to a no vote. He’s not going to come close to 60 votes, and he may in the end want to spare himself and Obama the embarrassment of Democrats supporting the Republican filibuster.
Thankfully, the secret ballot still means something to Americans.
Previous posts on Card Check:
- Card Check takes another blow from the Democrats
- Voinovich: Card Check a bad idea
- Video: Another cautionary Card Check tale
- Card Check: A cautionary tale
- Breaking: Specter commits to opposing Card Check
- Card Check backers: For us, it’s all, or nothing
- Retailers offer compromise on Card Check
- Audio: Mitt Romney on Card Check
- Union employees go on strike … against the union
- Video: SEIU accuses Card Check opponent of wanting workers to die
- Johnson against Card Check, too?
- Video: Murkowski tells AK legislature she’ll oppose Card Check
- Video: Warren Buffett on Card Check
- Video: Blue Dog speaks out against Card Check
- Conference call: Rep. John Kline on Card Check
- The Ed Morrissey Show: Dr. Anne Layne-Farrar, Card Check; John Taylor, Getting Off Track
- Three Dems wavering on Card Check in the Senate?
- Obama tells unions that Card Check will pass this year
- CPAC Interview: Card Check
- Obama moving away from fear-based politics?
- Secret ballots for workers in Mexico, but not the US?
- Will Stern strong-arm unions to join the SEIU?
- Video: Labor officials can’t explain why they need to dump the secret ballot
- Card check a dead letter?
- Audio: Sharpton opposing Card Check?
- Card Check loses a vote? Perhaps
- Video: Blago, SEIU, and Card Check
- DeMint conference call: Card Check, bailouts
- Card Check: A direct pipeline to corruption and abuse
- Can Obama get Democrats to support Card Check?
- Video: The Card Check ad CBS doesn’t want you to see
- Irony escapes the House Democratic Caucus
- Guess who used the secret ballot … again?
- Video: Meet Union Boss Bill
- USA Today: Stop Card Check …
- Video: McGovern on Card Check
- George McGovern to fight Card Check in debate ad
- Video: What if Congress passed Card Check for all elections?
- FRC Action Summit: Barbara Comstock on EFCA
- George McGovern: Stop Card Check
- Where did the SEIU get $150 million for politics?
- Right Online Conference: John Fund
- Maybe this is why they need Card Check?
- Video: “I Hate Heroes”
- Johnny Sac takes on the unions