[Updates added below]
The latest report from the Associated Press says 28 people have been killed and 60 wounded in the attack on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport. Earlier reports had said 10 people were killed and 20 wounded. Reports continue to vary on how many attackers were involved. CNN is now reporting there were 3 suicide bombers:
— CNN (@CNN) June 28, 2016
As this AP story points out earlier reports seemed to say one or two attackers.
[Turkey’s Justice Minister] Bekir Bozdag said that according to preliminary information, “a terrorist at the international terminal entrance first opened fire with a Kalashnikov and then blew himself up.”
Another official said two attackers detonated explosives at the entrance of the international terminal after police fired at them.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity in line with government protocol, said he was citing information from the interior ministry. It wasn’t immediately clear why his account of the number of attackers was different to the justice minister’s.
Images from the airport show the damage to the facility and the dozens of ambulances that were sent to care for the wounded:
BREAKING: At least 28 reported dead in suicide attack at Ataturk airport: Istanbul governor pic.twitter.com/k1oI4LPYrp
— Reuters Top News (@Reuters) June 28, 2016
— The Boston Globe (@BostonGlobe) June 28, 2016
— Daily Mirror (@DailyMirror) June 28, 2016
— TRT World (@trtworld) June 28, 2016
— The Irish Times (@IrishTimes) June 28, 2016
This Daily Mail graphic shows where the attack took place (though the number of blasts may already be out of date):
— Daily Mail Online (@MailOnline) June 28, 2016
There is video circulating that purports to show security camera footage of one of the blasts from inside the airport. Lots of people sharing it but haven’t seen it authenticated yet. There is also some early speculation about who is responsible but that also doesn’t seem to have been confirmed yet. We’ll update the story if this changes later in the day.
Update (AP): Good lord.
BREAKING: Senior Turkish official says nearly 50 people killed in attack at Istanbul's airport.
— The Associated Press (@AP) June 28, 2016
US officials tell NBC News this is likely an attack by ISIS and that there could be more to come:
— Bradd Jaffy (@BraddJaffy) June 28, 2016
Update 8:45pm EDT: The current death toll seems to be slightly lower than that senior Turkish official cited by the AP suggested. It currently stands at 36 with at least 147 injured. From Fox News:
The Associated Press initially quoted a senior Turkish official as saying that close to 50 people had already died. However, the news agency later said that the official told them the figure was expected to rise to close to 50.
A Turkish official told Reuters that the “vast majority” of victims were Turkish, but some foreigners were also affected.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but the same senior Turkish official told AP that initial indications suggested ISIS were behind the attack. According to Reuters, a police source also told the Dogan News Agency, “ISIS is behind the attack.”
CNN published video of one of the 3 attackers apparently being shot and dropping his gun and then, moments later, igniting his suicide vest: