Too good to check: Oberlin students object to racist food in dining hall

A liberal oriented protest at Oberlin College in Ohio won’t come as a surprise to anyone, particularly given the history of the institution. After all, it’s Lena Dunham’s alma mater, so how much more do you really need to know? But in an era where Yale and Mizzou are sucking up all the headlines for protests about racism and microagressions, you just knew that Oberlin would have to up the ante, and boy, did they. You see, at Oberlin, even the food in the dining hall is racist. (New York Post)

Students at an ultra-liberal Ohio college are in an uproar over the fried chicken, sushi and Vietnamese sandwiches served in the school cafeterias, complaining the dishes are “insensitive” and “culturally inappropriate.”…

General Tso’s chicken was made with steamed chicken instead of fried — which is not authentically Chinese, and simply “weird,” one student bellyached in the Oberlin Review.

Others were up in arms over banh mi Vietnamese sandwiches served with coleslaw instead of pickled vegetables, and on ciabatta bread, rather than the traditional French baguette…

Worse, the sushi rice was undercooked in a way that was, according to one student, “disrespectful” of her culture.

I think these students are shining a bright light on a serious problem confronting our nation… the scourge of drug addiction. Because these kids have got to be stone. But seriously, I can see complaining over poorly prepared food. (You should’ve seen some of the horror shows we had when I was in middle school.) But to turn this into a complaint of racism rather than incompetence and poor planning might be a bit of a stretch. There was one item on the list of complaints which I suppose might have a basis for umbrage among the easily offended. Fried chicken! How dare they serve fried chicken? That’s just a slap in the face because it’s such a stereotype for racist jokes dating back to before World War 2.

Wait… what’s that you say? They’re complaining about not getting fried chicken?

Oberlin’s black student union joined in the fray this month by staging a protest outside Afrikan Heritage House, an on-campus dorm.

The cafeteria there wasn’t serving enough vegan and vegetarian options and had failed to make fried chicken a permanent feature on the Sunday night menu, the school newspaper reported.

Those students started a petition that also recommends the reduction of cream used in dishes, because “black American food doesn’t have much cream in it,” according to the Review.

My snark meter has already pegged into the red zone, so I’m just going to let Insty close this one out.

The whole article is a riot, and reads like outtakes from I Am Charlotte Simmons. But then, I’m from a simpler era — I don’t recall General Tso’s Chicken, sushi and vegan options in my school’s cafeteria, which largely doled out barely edible food that seemed like Civil War surplus. Has there ever been a generation of college crybullies simultaneously so spoiled, and so angry?

As Glenn himself would say… indeed.

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Trending on HotAir Videos