Planned Parenthood raised nearly $3 million from over 10,000 donors over three days, following a Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation announcement that the womens’ health organization would no longer be eligible for grants. The Komen foundation on Friday reversed its decision and said Planned Parenthood could still get Komen funding.
“I’ve never seen anything catch fire like this,” Planned Parenthood CEO Cecile Richards said on a conference call on Friday. “Today it sends an important message about these bullying kinds of tactics. It sends a really important message that women are willing to stand up for women and women’s health.”
The donations are at least six times the funding Planned Parenthood received from the Komen foundation last year. Richards said the donated money would be used exclusively to maintain and build the organizations’ breast examination centers.