So says the New York Post. Why? The always-reliable “personal reasons.” Anyone want to bet that Caroline Kennedy has a “personal reason” to end the embarrassing spectacle of her courtship of David Paterson?
Caroline Kennedy has told Gov. David Paterson that she is withdrawing her name from consideration to replace outgoing Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton in the U.S. Senate, The Post has learned.
Kennedy cited “personal reasons,” according to sources.
Her stunning move comes as sources revealed that Paterson had intended to appoint her to the now-vacant seat today.
The 51-year-old Camelot daughter’s decision removes the highest-profile name in the ring to step into Clinton’s seat, as she departs after getting confirmed as President Obama’s Secretary of State today.
Actually, the trigger may have been Paterson’s statement Tuesday that Andrew Cuomo was under consideration for the slot. The specter of losing after making such a public bid for Hillary Clinton’s seat may have been too much for the Kennedy mystique, or at least the Kennedy ego.
Now that Kennedy has backed out, though, is Cuomo a shoo-in for the slot? Are New Yorkers soured on dynasty politics after Sweet Caroline’s performance over the past few weeks? The Post reports that at leat 15 people might be on Paterson’s list, but none with a name like Cuomo’s. I’d bet that Cuomo gets the call by tomorrow.
Update (AP): I come home from a meeting with the boss, see the headlines about Caroline, pop a bottle of champagne — and now this at 10:38 p.m.:
Source: Caroline Kennedy remains in contest to fill Hillary Clinton’s NY Senate seat.
The Post claimed earlier that she backed out after Paterson decided not to pick her. Did The One ring him up and urge him to reconsider?
Update (MM): OK, now it’s safe to pop the bubbly back open. She’s truly, really, out now. For now.