We’re nowhere near Bill Cosby level numbers yet, but the chips seem to be stacking up against fugitive felon and convicted pedophile child rapist Roman Polanski. A third woman has broken decades of silence and come forward, alleging that Polanski raped her when she was sixteen years old. The New York Daily News reported on this yesterday, but they draw a red card for FAKE NEWS in part of the story which we’ll get to in a moment.
A third woman came forward Tuesday to say she had been sexually abused as a minor by director Roman Polanski, and said she would testify against him if the fugitive is ever brought to trial.
The alleged victim, who gave only name as, Robin M., said Polanski molested her in 1973 when she was only 16, and that she kept it to herself to protect her family…
Robin said she came forward after learning that [Samantha] Geimer had urged the court in June to dismiss Polanski’s case.
“I am not over it and I certainly believe that Roman Polanski should be held accountable for his criminal conduct with Samantha Geimer,” Robin said. “He fled the country. Years have passed and he is famous, but that does not excuse his criminal conduct of sexually victimizing minors.”
As mentioned above, for anyone reading this report at the NY Daily News, there is one paragraph in the story which is in need of correction. This is the section in question. (Emphasis added)
Polanski pleaded guilty two years later to one count of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor, Samantha Geimer, and sentenced to 90 days in prison, but fled to Europe before he was sentenced.
That is FAKE NEWS, which should be obvious since the article negates the “fact” in question before finishing the sentence. Polanski was never sentenced in the case where he was convicted of drugging, raping and sodomizing 13 year old Samantha Geimer. He had a plea deal, but it was never finalized. In fact, the primary reason he gave for fleeing the country was that he’d heard that the judge was going to toss the deal and give him a lengthier trip to the Crowbar Motel. It’s odd that the NYDN would say he’d been sentenced in the same line where they conclude by reporting that he, “fled to Europe before he was sentenced.”
The one unfortunate part of Robin’s situation in terms of credibility is the fact that she’s being represented by Gloria Allred, who seems to glom on to every liberal celebrity cause that comes down the pike. But she’s also known to specialize in representing abused women, so perhaps that’s not such a negative.
As to Robin’s credibility, I’m sure Polanski’s defenders (and he has a shocking number of them in Hollywood) will try to damage her by asking why she waited so many years to come forward. She’s already supplied that answer by saying she was “defending her family.” Specifically, she was worried that if her father found out he might, “go to prison for the rest of his life.” As explanations go, at least for the average man on the street, that’s a pretty good one. Any father, finding out that some creepy pervert had raped his 16 year old child, might decide to go over and settle matters with a shotgun and wind up in prison himself.
Also, at least at this point, Robin isn’t bringing any sort of civil suit herself or looking for a legal prosecution which is far past the statute of limitations. She’s being offered as a witness in the ongoing legal battle over Polanski’s status. If there’s no money in it for her it only adds to her credibility. And given that Polanski has already been found guilty once of a monstrous attack on a child, who do you suppose deserves the benefit of the doubt here?