Get ready for a Sunday morning full of debate over Republican unity … or soccer, depending on your whim. NBC’s Chuck Todd gets the morning off as the network broadcasts the English Premier League finals, but everyone else has all hands on deck. Well, almost all hands — neither of the presumptive presidential nominees will make an appearance this week, either, but Bernie Sanders will show up on ABC.
Mostly, though, today’s all about unity and disunity. Reince Priebus will make appearances on three of the other four shows this morning, presumably to fill everyone in on the “great” meetings this week between Donald Trump and Republicans on Capitol Hill. CBS’ John Dickerson will cover that in depth, interviewing Paul Ryan one on one, and then turning to fellow House Republicans Marsha Blackburn and Chris Collins. In a demonstration of the split within the party at the moment over Trump’s nomination, Fox’s Chris Wallace will referee a bout between Newt Gingrich and #NeverTrumper Rep. Tim Huelskamp (R-KS). CNN’s Jake Tapper will have Team Trump convention guru Paul Manafort on to discuss the campaign’s next moves to unify the delegates and the party.
Looking for something different that doesn’t involve flopping on the grass and pretending to get hurt? The most intriguing segments would likely be Martha Raddatz reporting from a recently liberated Iraqi city on the front lines against ISIS for ABC, and the Dickerson’s discussion with former SecDef Robert Gates. According to the CBS promo, he’ll discuss “both Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton’s preparedness to take on the job of commander in chief and whether he’d serve a 9th president if asked.” Better tape that for some interesting sound bites for later in the day.
Here are the lineups:
- ABC’s This Week: Martha Raddatz reports live from the Iraqi front lines of the fight against ISIS. Guests: Sen. Bernie Sanders; RNC chair Reince Priebus ; roundtable with Dan Balz, Rep. Tom Cole, Rep. Keith Ellison, Alicia Menendez.
- CBS’ Face The Nation: House Speaker Paul Ryan; Reince Priebus; former Defense Secretary Robert Gates; Reps. Marsha Blackburn and Chris Collins; roundtable with Jamelle Bouie, Michael Gerson, Julie Pace, Susan Page.
- CNN’s State of the Union: Team Trump convention manager Paul Manafort; Sen. Sherrod Brown; roundtable with Donna Brazile, Ana Navarro, Andre Bauer, Sen Jeff Merkley
- Fox News Sunday: Reince Priebus; Newt Gingrich and Rep. Tim Huelskamp; roundtable with Brit Hume, Amy Walter, George Will, Bob Woodward
- NBC’s Meet the Press: Pre-empted this week by English Premier League soccer finals.
Note: Allahpundit is on vacation all week.