Fort Hood has gone into lockdown mode, with orders to “shelter in place,” as reports of another shooting come into newsrooms. Details are sketchy, but there are reports of some soldiers being shot (via Jim Hoft):
We have reports of an active shooter on Fort Hood. We have reports that there are several injuries from this shooting. There is at least one patient being transported to the hospital. We are also getting reports of victims in the Battle Simulation Center on 65th and Warehouse. The suspect is still at large. The shooter was said to be in building 33026 which is the Medical Brigade Building.
Don’t take any of these details as confirmed yet. If we’ve learned anything over the years, it’s that the first reports from this kind of crisis usually end up either entirely wrong or exaggerated. The lockdown has been confirmed, according to KCEN, by the Facebook page of Fort Hood. They have confirmed that much with CNN, too. CNN now has a report up too:
There is an active shooter at the sprawling central Texas base of Fort Hood, a source at Fort Hood told CNN on Wednesday. The situation is serious and sirens are going off, said the source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. … “They got some kind of shooting incident going on. They haven’t told us anything. It was on post and being handled by the military. Fort Hood has not asked for any assistance,” said Lt. Donnie Adams with the Bell County Sheriff’s Office.
Four and a half years ago, Major Nidal Hassan killed 14 people in a lone-wolf terrorist attack on Fort Hood. So far, we have no indication that this is anything similar.
Update: KAKE reports that there is one person dead and several others injured, but again, be prepared for that to change later.
Update: KBTX reports that Ft. Hood confirmed one death:
At least one person is dead after a shooting late Wednesday afternoon on Fort Hood, a post spokesman confirmed. Others were injured in the shooting, but the spokesman didn’t say how many. The gunman is still at large and the spokesman said the incident is being treated as an active-shooter situation.
Update: The FBI announced yesterday that they were tracking a recent Army recruit who threatened a “Fort Hood-inspired jihad against US soldiers:
Federal officials are on the hunt for a recent Army recruit who was reportedly plotting a “Fort Hood-inspired jihad against U.S. soldiers.” News of the recruit’s evil intentions emerged after the FBI’s Kansas City division sent out an alert which was then distributed to the U.S. Marine Corps. The alert allegedly identified the man as Muhammad Abdullah Hassan, also known as “Booker.” The document was then distributed to Kansas City Police and to members of the U.S. Marine Corps to “ inform and protect officers who may encounter this individual or others exhibiting the same aspirations,” Fox reports.
The NYDN reports that the focus of that investigation was in Kansas, not Texas, and so far there isn’t any specific indication that this is connected to that threat. At least, not yet.
Update: Local CBS affiliate KWTX reports that one person has been confirmed killed in this incident, and that as many as 15 others may have been wounded. KCEN is also reporting that one person may be in custody and there may be a second suspect, but we’ve seen that in other incidents just to discover that only one shooter was involved.
Update: NBC has a report from Jim Miklaszewski on the possible number of suspects, but notes that the injuries may only be eight people:
We’ll see how this holds up.
Update: CNN says one shooter is confirmed dead:
A shooter involved in the Fort Hood incident is dead, according to multiple U.S. officials. http://t.co/j2GmYHidIr
— CNN Breaking News (@cnnbrk) April 2, 2014
That may be the one that was earlier reported as “in custody,” though — so if there’s another, they may still be looking for him or her.
John Thomas Booker, 19, of Topeka, Kan. enlisted in the Army in February and was due to report for basic training on April 7. But the FBI interviewed him in March and alerted the Army, which formally discharged him last week. He is now in an undisclosed mental health facility, sources told FoxNews.com.
Perhaps they are concerned that he recruited others, but it’s another reason to think that the two stories are not linked.
Update: NBC now reports that base officials say only one shooter is involved:
UPDATE: Ft. Hood shooter 'down'; appears to be only gunman, military official says
— NBC News (@NBCNews) April 2, 2014
Again, keep an open mind on that point.
Update (Erika): The Associated Press corroborates the reports that the shooter is dead:
BREAKING: Justice Department internal report: Fort Hood gunman dead of self-inflicted wound. — The Associated Press (@AP) April 2, 2014
Update: Fox News is suggesting that this is a “soldier on soldier” incident:
A shooting at Ft. Hood that reportedly left three injured Wednesday was a “soldier on soldier” incident without any terrorism link, a senior Department of Homeland Security source told FoxNews.com. The source, who stressed the information was preliminary, added that there was “currently no [counter terrorism] nexus” and said it appears the shooter “killed himself and three soldiers were wounded.” But there were conflicting reports on how many shooters may have been involved, and what happened in the incident. A senior law enforcement official told Fox News that it is believed one shooter has been “neutralized,” and authorities believe there may be another shooter in the vicinity.
Update: Both Fox and CNN are reporting that four people, including the shooter, are confirmed dead:
Update: Multiple outlets are reporting that we have an identity, but I’d take it cautiously:
Rep. Mike McCaul’s office confirms 4 people dead in #FortHoodShooting. Shooter identified as Spc. Ivan Lopez.
— UPI.com (@UPI) April 3, 2014