Handy excuse or warning shot across Big Labor’s bow? Michael Bennett (D-CO) hadn’t even appeared on the Democratic waverer contingent in the Senate on Card Check. Now, suddenly, Bennett is telling constituents to take the Stones’ “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” to heart (via Greg Sargent):
“We’re going to have to see whether or not there’s a consensus that can be reached that makes it something that can be passed because right now there isn’t something that can be passed,” Bennet told the group at New Belgium.
He said he’s concerned by the hard feelings that are developing on the issue, among organized labor on one side and small-business owners on the other. He said those groups can be allies on many issues, particularly health-care reform, and can’t let the EFCA debate splinter relationships.
“Temperatures are running high on both sides of this. We need to make sure that no matter how this turns out … that we’ve got all hands on deck working on health-care reform because this is the year to get that done,” he said.
I’m guessing this is a mixture of both excuse and warning siren. He’s right about the employers being a potentially big ally in the push to nationalize health insurance; if they can get those costs off of their books, then they can look healthy — even though the government bite will probably wind up being worse in the end. Small business owners can eliminate a big competitive disadvantage over larger corporations if Obamacare comes to fruition, and it’s not like businesses of any size have shown much aptitude for long-term thinking recently.
But if labor keeps pushing on Card Check, Bennett appears to warn, they can kiss that cooperation good-bye on health care reform. Sargent thinks the danger in this argument is giving more Dems cover to break ranks on Card Check, but that ship has sailed, my friend. Democrats may not have a majority now, even if they could get cloture, which they can’t. Bennett’s warning that beating a dead horse will put other horses on life support, and he may be right.
Previous posts on Card Check:
- Lincoln commits to opposing Card Check
- Card Check takes another blow from the Democrats
- Voinovich: Card Check a bad idea
- Video: Another cautionary Card Check tale
- Card Check: A cautionary tale
- Breaking: Specter commits to opposing Card Check
- Card Check backers: For us, it’s all, or nothing
- Retailers offer compromise on Card Check
- Audio: Mitt Romney on Card Check
- Union employees go on strike … against the union
- Video: SEIU accuses Card Check opponent of wanting workers to die
- Johnson against Card Check, too?
- Video: Murkowski tells AK legislature she’ll oppose Card Check
- Video: Warren Buffett on Card Check
- Video: Blue Dog speaks out against Card Check
- Conference call: Rep. John Kline on Card Check
- The Ed Morrissey Show: Dr. Anne Layne-Farrar, Card Check; John Taylor, Getting Off Track
- Three Dems wavering on Card Check in the Senate?
- Obama tells unions that Card Check will pass this year
- CPAC Interview: Card Check
- Obama moving away from fear-based politics?
- Secret ballots for workers in Mexico, but not the US?
- Will Stern strong-arm unions to join the SEIU?
- Video: Labor officials can’t explain why they need to dump the secret ballot
- Card check a dead letter?
- Audio: Sharpton opposing Card Check?
- Card Check loses a vote? Perhaps
- Video: Blago, SEIU, and Card Check
- DeMint conference call: Card Check, bailouts
- Card Check: A direct pipeline to corruption and abuse
- Can Obama get Democrats to support Card Check?
- Video: The Card Check ad CBS doesn’t want you to see
- Irony escapes the House Democratic Caucus
- Guess who used the secret ballot … again?
- Video: Meet Union Boss Bill
- USA Today: Stop Card Check …
- Video: McGovern on Card Check
- George McGovern to fight Card Check in debate ad
- Video: What if Congress passed Card Check for all elections?
- FRC Action Summit: Barbara Comstock on EFCA
- George McGovern: Stop Card Check
- Where did the SEIU get $150 million for politics?
- Right Online Conference: John Fund
- Maybe this is why they need Card Check?
- Video: “I Hate Heroes”
- Johnny Sac takes on the unions