Green Room

“The whole law – from its name to its effects – is one bad joke.”

posted at 11:27 am on March 10, 2014 by

Attention, Sen. Reid and friends — the Nashua Telegraph has published a negative personal testimonial from yet another Obamacare “liar.”  Please debunk her Koch-funded lies as soon as possible, lest her fellow citizens begin continue to suspect that your signature law is hurting people. Meet Helen DePrima of Bedford, New Hampshire (a constituent of Sen. Jeanne Shaheen):

We were always happy with our health care coverage. My husband and I have been on the same plan since 1972, when my husband graduated from vet school. We liked our plan and wanted to keep it – it provided us excellent coverage and served our needs perfectly. Not anymore. Thanks to Obamacare, our happy relationship with our health insurance ended in November 2012 after 40 years. That’s when we received notification that our health insurance plan would cease to exist as of Dec. 31, 2013…Now that our original insurance is gone, we have poorer quality supplemental coverage at a higher cost. Some of the prescriptions our previous policy paid for are now “disallowed” – if we want to continue taking them, it’s on our nickel completely. One of my prescriptions cost me twice the amount out-of-pocket than under our old plan. The agent who helped us transition to the replacement plan calculated that we’ll pay more than $10,000 per year…Such are the results of the badly-misnamed Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. Protecting patients from what? Caring by canceling our insurance and worsening our coverage? And affordable? Hardly! … The whole law – from its name to its effects – is one bad joke. I just wish the punch line was funny.

As Erika noted over the weekend, one influential union has been blasting away at Obamacare, highlighting the fact that the law is adversely impacting its low-to-middle income members.  While the Obama administration wants to reduce income inequality by erecting barriers to job creation, the president’s top domestic ‘achievement’ is exacerbating that very gap among some of his strongest supporters.  Some unions recently received a sweetheart exemption from one of Obamacare’s new taxes, but that perk isn’t enough to offset damage like this:

Angela is far from alone.  A February study from the center-left Brookings Institution determined that Obamacare would reduce incomes among the top 80 percent of American wage earners.  Workers at the very bottom stand to benefit, but everyone else will take a hit — with lower-middle class Americans facing the steepest reductions in take-home pay.  As for the previously uninsured, it’s tough to overstate how devastating last week’s Washington Post bombshell was.  Nine out of ten eligible uninsured Americans haven’t selected plans under Obamacare, with the top reason cited being lack of affordability.  Of those few who have “signed up,” only about half have paid, and are therefore covered.  So we’re looking at roughly five percent of the previously uninsured population that has decided to participate in a $2 trillion law that was ostensibly foisted upon the rest of the public for their benefit.  Therefore, the vast, vast majority of people touted in the White House’s (still significantly inflated) Obamacare “enrollment” figures already had coverage prior to the law’s passage.  Those aren’t “new” enrollees.  They’re people who were uprooted from their previous arrangement because of this law.  More than six million Americans have received cancellation notices due to Obamacare…so far.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

“The whole law – from its name to its effects – is one bad joke.”

No one will laugh at this bad joke until it is repealed.

Sterling Holobyte on March 10, 2014 at 11:40 AM

So in other words, the unstated intended consequences are unfolding as secretly desired.

rbj on March 10, 2014 at 11:50 AM

and yet 38% of the people approve of the law, they must be the people who have employer provided coverage who have not been affected…..yet…… and are not enlightened enough to see that their health insurance is going to go through the same fate as the relatively small 6MM people have had happened to them

take responsibility on March 10, 2014 at 12:45 PM

R-S-P-E-C-T

ConstantineXI on March 10, 2014 at 12:59 PM

take responsibility on March 10, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Just because some of us still have employer sponsored insurance does NOT mean we approve of 0scare. I still have my company plan, for now, but costs have definitely gone up.

dentarthurdent on March 10, 2014 at 1:19 PM

R-S-P-E-C-T

ConstantineXI on March 10, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Will you stop it already? The Preznit, World’s SmartestestMan, was speaking Austrian. And in Austrian RESPECT is spelled RSPECT!

NOMOBO on March 10, 2014 at 1:39 PM

dentarthurdent on March 10, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Tell me about it. My meds have gone up astronomically since Oscare was passed. Deductibles on my employer sponsored plan have gone up over double in the past two years, as soon as the company made the insurance ACA approved.

NOMOBO on March 10, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Vacuuming: The untold story of housekeeping injury

BobMbx on March 10, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Knock! Knock!
Who’s there?
The IRS.
IRS who?
The IRS you and everyone that laughed at this joke.

Flange on March 10, 2014 at 2:36 PM

This is just more confirmation of what we already know: Obunglercare is a socialist train wreck, and Harry Reid is a liar.

Whitey Ford on March 10, 2014 at 2:41 PM

I do not like this Uncle Sam, I do not like his healthcare scam.

John the Libertarian on March 10, 2014 at 2:53 PM

take responsibility on March 10, 2014 at 12:45 PM

No, I’d be willing to bet that many of these people who approve of the law, do so with the knowledge that they’ve moved one step closer to destroying our existing health system – and one step closer to a single payer plan. I still have my plan thru my employer, but I’ve looked at the exchange rates – and fear the day my employer decides it’s more cost-effective for him to drop me, than insure me. I can’t afford the rates on the exchange – it frightens the hell out of me.

Hill60 on March 10, 2014 at 3:00 PM

N.H. disappointed me greatly when they went for King Putt TWICE, no less. The last bastion of sanity in New England was no more as of that second duping.

Reap, sow, etc.

RedNewEnglander on March 10, 2014 at 3:06 PM

What difference does it make…

We won…

That is all we need to know about this administration…

right2bright on March 10, 2014 at 3:11 PM

“The whole law – from its name to its effects – is one bad joke.”

People laugh at jokes…I don’t see anyone laughing.

right2bright on March 10, 2014 at 3:13 PM

I can’t wait until those getting subsidies are told that they have to pay some/most/all of it back.

‘Cause those are NOT “subsidies” they are “tax credits.” Make just $1 too much and BAMMO! you’re gonna owe next April 15.

geek49203 on March 10, 2014 at 4:04 PM

People laugh at jokes…I don’t see anyone laughing.

right2bright on March 10, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Yeah there are people laughing. But not you and me. Ted Cruz got laughed at by that smug jerk on ABC when he talked about repeal.

Red Creek on March 10, 2014 at 4:19 PM

What a travesty. Ill conceived, poorly executed, harmful to the majority, and yet, the clowns in charge just keep plugging away, forcing people to make changes they don’t want while paying extravagant amounts for it. It’s not enough that the cost of EVERYTHING has gone up over the last 10 years, and wages have remained stagnant, now this boondoggle is dumped on us as if we’re a bunch of peasants who don’t know what’s good for us. I still have my employer plan, but if (when) it goes, I’m totally screwed. And yea, the cost of every medical expense I’ve incurred over the past year has increased with the exception of a couple prescriptions. Progress my a$$.

scalleywag on March 10, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Well, the brains behind the whole OCare website fiasco have recently made at least ONE common sense decision – not that it will help in the long run however.

Government Extends HealthCare.gov Contract for Verizon’s Terremark

Yeah, that’s right, they were going to switch web-hosting providers ONE DAY before the end of the open enrollment. They have now pushed this off for a couple of months – which means, of course that we are paying the bill for this twice. But hey, what’s another couple hundred million bucks at this point?

climbnjump on March 10, 2014 at 6:23 PM

climbnjump on March 10, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Well, nuts… That link is behind their paywall. Maybe this one will work:

U.S. extends Terremark contract as HealthCare.gov host

climbnjump on March 10, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Who gave this racist woman from all-white New Hampshire a voice? Why do these Obamacare-hating Americans hate all blacks and Latinos and poor people? I’m ashamed of my country. /sar

brentspolemics on March 10, 2014 at 7:01 PM

We work hard for our insurance. Why should we have to take a cut in pay for it?

Who the hell do you think is paying for the others to have healthcare!? If anyone says this stuff and voted for obama, it should be permanent for them.

rightside on March 10, 2014 at 7:30 PM

take responsibility on March 10, 2014 at 12:45 PM

dentarthurdent on March 10, 2014 at 1:19 PM

I think that the 38% that still approve probably do still have employer coverage. Our plan hasn’t gone up yet. I have never approved of the ACA. Currently about a third of Americans have personally been negatively affected by it. Probably the majority of those who haven’t will be in the fall, depending on how companies and insurers repsond to the law and the mutliple exective orders. (Who can keep up with what Obamacare actually says and who knows how it will be enforced? What business or insurer will risk money to go out on a limb?)

talkingpoints on March 10, 2014 at 7:53 PM

I just love the idea that people like me who lost their insurance because of this law will face a penalty for not having health insurance. Thanks, Obama!

VanPalin on March 11, 2014 at 1:35 AM

It’s particularly upsetting that those who are force-feeding us this crap sandwich are either subsidized or exempt.

TimBuk3 on March 11, 2014 at 9:09 AM

if they stopped delaying the employer mandate the calls to repeal it wold be deafening.
I fully support implementing the law right now as it was supposed to be implemented.
its the only way to make people see.

dmacleo on March 11, 2014 at 12:53 PM

The communists have come out and said the ACA was designed to destroy insurance companies.

What other proof does anyone need to repeal this communist plot???

redguy on March 11, 2014 at 1:08 PM

But at least you have free birth control, right? Just take those pills instead of the ones not covered.

The Democrats wanted to be honest about their intentions in this bill but Unaffordable, useless healthcare with giant premiums and deductibles wasn’t polling well. So they lied.

magicbeans on March 11, 2014 at 1:36 PM

It’s OK. He’s black.

Galtian on March 11, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Reached for comment, one high-ranking White House spokes-drone after another said, “Fundamental Transformation, b****es, fundamental transformation”.

Sacramento on March 11, 2014 at 2:28 PM

“Embrace the suck” – elections have consequences, again and again.

Infidelius on March 11, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Legislation with a body-count.

cthulhu on March 11, 2014 at 5:50 PM

ObamaCare is the best thing that could have happened for small government for a few generations to come.

Without ObamaCare there would be millions upon millions of voters still insisting that Hope and Change really occurred and that it was great, groovy and wonderful.

Thanks to ObamaCare, millions upon millions of Democrat voters will be paying more out of every paycheck and tax refund.

They will think about that before they pull the lever for another Democrat.

Granted, it sucks everyone has to pay the price, but in the long run it has been a huge dent in Democrats dream of controlling the direction our country will go with big government.

ButterflyDragon on March 11, 2014 at 8:06 PM

…the tax isn’t funny?

KOOLAID2 on March 11, 2014 at 8:09 PM

After the FL loss and these stories from regular folks now radicalized by this awful law, I predict Obama himself will repeal it before the midterms. He’s kryptonite now for Dems.

PattyJ on March 11, 2014 at 11:55 PM

I’m trying to remember….who was the President whose signature accomplishment was Prohibition? — that got repealed soon afterward.

cthulhu on March 12, 2014 at 4:17 AM

The Democrats know this law is a mess, and it’s their mess. That’s why they constantly tout its “success”.

oldennis on March 12, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Except I don’t feel like laughing when people will suffer and die under this mess

neyney on March 18, 2014 at 2:34 PM

The Democrats are trying to mask a pile of crap. You can spray perfume on a turd but it still stinks.

kemojr on April 2, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Yes but Bundy is a racisss!

jangle12 on April 28, 2014 at 10:37 AM