Green Room

Teachers, Not Teamsters, Are the Typical Union Members

posted at 7:10 am on March 4, 2014 by

We can watch the ebb and flow of union membership from year to year, thanks to the Bureau of Labor Statistics and unionstats.com. And we can watch the ebb and flow of teacher union membership from year to year if I can continue to pry it from a secretive National Education Association and American Federation of Teachers. But there has not been much tracking of how much of a share NEA and AFT have of union membership overall in the United States.

I have put together a table and posted it on the EIA web site that shows the combined active NEA and AFT membership for each state and DC in 2012 and the share it constitutes of active public employee union (PEU) membership and total (public sector + private sector) union membership. It illustrates that teachers’ unions make up the bulk of the public employee labor movement, and a growing percentage of organized labor overall.

* Nationwide, NEA and AFT members comprise 21.2 percent of all union members, and 41.5 percent of PEU members.

* The five states where teacher union members make up the largest share of the total union population are Nebraska, Alabama, North Dakota, Vermont and Idaho.

* The five states where teacher union members make up the smallest share of the total union population are Mississippi, Hawaii, South Carolina, Maine and Texas.

* The five states where teacher union members make up the largest share of the PEU population are Alabama, Nebraska, Idaho, Virginia and North Dakota.

* The five states where teacher union members make up the smallest share of the PEU population are South Carolina, Mississippi, Hawaii, Louisiana and California.

* Teacher union members are more than one-quarter of the total union population in 22 states.

* Teacher union members are more than half of the PEU population in 21 states.

(click for larger version or follow this link)

TeacherUnionShare2012

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

This is all fine and well, but when can we expect the Union leadership to stop acting like Teamsters and start acting like Teachers?

They are the ones we have issue with, as they are the ones spending billions electing Democrats and ramrodding more Big Government down our throats.

wearyman on March 4, 2014 at 9:02 AM

…thugs!

KOOLAID2 on March 4, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Gawd, but I can’t wait for a GOP POTUS and Congress to kick the living shiite out of PEU’s…

JohnGalt23 on March 4, 2014 at 9:56 AM

JohnGalt23 on March 4, 2014 at 9:56 AM

…if they do. How’d that Republican congress under George W. Bush work out for you, Galt? Politicians ain’t gonna fix what politicians broke. And there’s nothing new at all about union mis- and malfeasance.

gryphon202 on March 4, 2014 at 10:26 AM

gryphon202 on March 4, 2014 at 10:26 AM

I like to think we learned from our mistakes. The reaction to the very mention of the name “Jeb Bush” around here gives me hope…

JohnGalt23 on March 4, 2014 at 10:47 AM

JohnGalt23 on March 4, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Yeah. I know what you mean. Cause all of the Republicans whose surname isn’t “Bush” are such honorable folk./

It’s going to get a lot worse before it gets any better. We the people don’t have the stomach to do what needs to be done.

gryphon202 on March 4, 2014 at 10:50 AM

I have a low opinion of public-employee unions in general, as the interests of the tax-payers are not represented in labor negotiations. The actions of teachers’ unions are, on balance, despicable. I would reserve a lower level of hell for them.

trl on March 4, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Teachers Unions usually hold a gun to the head of Children and list their demands.

portlandon on March 4, 2014 at 11:46 AM

My mom’s an NSEA member here in Nebraska. Naturally she doesn’t care for the union’s political viewpoints and opted out of the part of her dues that supposedly fund political spending, though we all know better. Even though Nebraska’s a RTW state, there’s a lot of pressure for teachers to join the union, as nonmembers are viewed as freeloaders and shunned.

I will share one story on some legitimate good that the NSEA did while I was in school. My junior year, one of my classmates accused a long time teacher of sexual misconduct and filed a lawsuit against him and the school district. Sparing a lot of details, let’s just say everyone in the school knew the student was lying and was just after money. It was the union’s attorneys, not the school districts’ that shredded the student’s story and made the case go away.

I don’t agree with a lot of things teachers’ unions do, making it all but impossible to fire bad teachers being way, way up there, but the legal backing that they give their members in the case of lawsuits can be invaluable.

LukeinNE on March 4, 2014 at 11:46 AM

My wife was a union president(CSEA) before she retired. Please contact the authorities if I die of mysterious means.

notwantedinN.Y.

jmtham156 on March 4, 2014 at 12:43 PM

But who can tell the difference based on their actions?

talkingpoints on March 7, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Top Pick

Top Pick

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.

Slow your roll, boss

“I’m bothered by the lack of emerging evidence…”

FIrst look at the Senate health bill

John Sexton Jun 21, 2017 9:21 PM

Divide and conquer?

You know, I may have cracked the case for you, guys