Green Room

Video: Kirsten Powers and the “liberal bubble”

posted at 2:31 pm on February 20, 2014 by

You know what Fox News is good for doing? Freeing people like Kirsten Powers from epistemological lock:

Cannon began by asking Powers how she is treated by her Fox colleagues. He recalled that New York Times’ conservative columnist David Brooks was not well-received when he first started writing for the Times and asked if Powers had encountered a similar experience.

“People are really nice at Fox,” Powers revealed. “It’s been good for because I – before that, I lived in a real liberal bubble.”

“All my friends were liberals and I grew up in a really liberal family,” she continued. “I had a lot of ideas about conservatives and then I got to Fox and just, I was like, ‘Oh, they’re not all evil and stupid.’”

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

It is good to surround yourself with diverse opinions. Why would you want just want to surround yourself with people who never disagree with you?

terryannonline on February 20, 2014 at 2:43 PM

I wonder. If I went to a Liberal area and stared hanging around Liberals, would I say the same?

TexasJack on February 20, 2014 at 2:43 PM

The interesting thing is that it is possible for liberals to be enclosed in a bubble yet virtually impossible for conservatives due to pop culture and the MSM.

Bitter Clinger on February 20, 2014 at 2:44 PM

TexasJack on February 20, 2014 at 2:43 PM

You’re assuming, of course, that the liberals would tolerate your very existence.

Just sayin…

Eric in Hollywood on February 20, 2014 at 2:47 PM

TexasJack on February 20, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Just take your 4X4 pickup with the faded Bush-Cheney bumper sticker through San Francisco. There’s a fun thought experiment. I live in Oklahoma City and see liberal bumper stickers all the time. Never seen one keyed yet.

Meric1837 on February 20, 2014 at 2:47 PM

TexasJack on February 20, 2014 at 2:43 PM

No, that’s the irony, they shut down.

They have no intellectual defense supporting their policies, so eventually they just have to shut you out.

Try to imagine a liberal, honestly supporting Obama’s economic policies and what has happened the past few years…beyond “he inherited it,it is Bush’s fault”, what choice do they have but to ostracize you.

If they actually listened to you, they would either have to outright lie to you, or agree.

right2bright on February 20, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Just when I think she’s out, they pull her back in.

BKeyser on February 20, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Meric1837 on February 20, 2014 at 2:47 PM

The only keyed liberal car that I know of, was at the Claremont Colleges, a professor came out, a black liberal professor, and her car was keyed and vandalized…quite shocking. She of course made a big case out of it proving how liberals, especially black liberals are treated on a conservative campus.

Oh, may I add, the security cameras showed her doing it to her own car…so a liberals car is keyed sometimes.

right2bright on February 20, 2014 at 2:57 PM

terryannoncrack on February 20, 2014 at 2:43 PM

…you are a #1 example!

KOOLAID2 on February 20, 2014 at 2:58 PM

right2bright on February 20, 2014 at 2:55 PM

On NewsBusters, where I’m a mod, I like to ask the liberals one question when the inevitable -we’re better than you- topic comes up: “Why are progressive policies better for your liberty and prosperity now, and in the future?”

I’ve never seen it answered on any level.

BKeyser on February 20, 2014 at 3:00 PM

right2bright on February 20, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Wow. The “noble lie” in action, peppered with a little attention seeking narcissism.

Meric1837 on February 20, 2014 at 3:01 PM

The world needs more Liberals like her. She actually seems to listen.

To be honest though, David Brooks takes a fair amount of flak from Conservatives, himself. I’ve often thought that he is the only kind of Conservative who could work for the New York Times, but it’s gratifying that Powers has been treated more warmly than he.

LancerDL on February 20, 2014 at 3:10 PM

LancerDL on February 20, 2014 at 3:10 PM

I personally don’t dislike David Brooks. He and Ross Douthat are pretty solid writers compared to other columnists at NYTimes.

I will take a David Brooks column over Maureen Dowd any day. And it is not because her views are liberal but because she’s not a good writer.

terryannonline on February 20, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Powers is the last honest liberal in America …

Whitey Ford on February 20, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Likewise, I have found that all liberals are not necessarily hateful and intolerant or that they are all morally bankrupt, untrustworthy, racist and perverted in their choices of lifestyle.

HotAirian on February 20, 2014 at 3:52 PM

That’s because only in the bizarro universe of the NYT is David Brooks a conservative.

dreadnought62 on February 20, 2014 at 4:08 PM

I would not mind being surrounded by Britt Hume, Charles Krauthammer and George Will. I might even shut up and listen– well maybe I am getting carried away.

KW64 on February 20, 2014 at 4:15 PM

New York Times’ conservative columnist David Brooks

Wait, what?

BuckeyeSam on February 20, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Since her come to Jesus moment she really hasn’t changed much or given anything up. That whole idol thing that liberals like is a hard teaching and it appears that Ms Powers hasn’t figured it out.

crosshugger on February 20, 2014 at 4:36 PM

I grew up in a liberal household too. I used to be a Dem and am ashamed to say I voted for bubba the first time. By his reelection time I had been deprogrammed (thanks Rush!) and realized my family had been wrong. If I, a mere high school grad can see the light why can’t Powers? These college-educated Dems mystify me.

neyney on February 20, 2014 at 5:01 PM

terryannonline on February 20, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Ask Obama for answers.

Sherman1864 on February 20, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Sorry, but I’m not interested in the opinion of Kristen “Christians who want religious protection not to have to violate their conscience are trying to implement a new era of Jim Crow” Powers.

She’s as wrong as wrong could be on that score. The Constitution directly references freedom of religion. It does NOT overrule that right through subsequent sexual identity amendments.

xNavigator on February 20, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Powers is the last honest liberal in America …

Whitey Ford on February 20, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Man, that hurts and will leave a mark.

HonestLib on February 20, 2014 at 9:10 PM

She thinks she is a journalist and is telling us what is true. I don’t think she’s escaped from that bubble yet.

peacenprosperity on February 20, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Wait, what?
BuckeyeSam on February 20, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Yeah, I always get a chuckle out of that one too. It isn’t a friendly chuckle though, more like a Rottweiler’s chuckle.

peacenprosperity on February 20, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Conservatives think liberals are wrong, liberals think Conservatives are evil… In a nutshell.

2Tru2Tru on February 20, 2014 at 11:56 PM

TexasJack on February 20, 2014 at 2:43 PM

I live in New York so I am surrounded by Liberals and they are not evil and stupid. But they are superficial. Whatever the talking points are today is what they think today. And they are really, really bad at arguing a point. If you disagree with them it’s straight to the ad hominem attacks. Basically that’s all they’ve got.

Fred 2 on February 21, 2014 at 1:13 AM

right2bright on February 20, 2014 at 2:57 PM

A few years ago, an SBA “Small Business Incubator” building on the urban side of town was vandalized with KKK and racist graffiti shortly before its opening.

Guess who was found guilty of the vandalism?

BigAlSouth on February 21, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Fred 2 on February 21, 2014 at 1:13 AM

Due to my particular occupation, I’m surrounded by leftists as well. While many are quite intelligent, I’m often shocked by how shallow their thinking is on political matters. They simply don’t understand how anyone could oppose their preferred policies. I don’t know if they’ve never heard conservative arguments or completely blocked them out, but they just don’t get it. For example, when I was a grad student, the student senate was debating some bill about banning guns on campus (at the time, I was surprised that wasn’t already the rule). A left-wing grad student, knowing I was not a left-winger, came up to me with the campus newspaper article discussing the bill, and asked “How could anyone possibly oppose this?” Oh, I don’t know, because it’s utterly pointless?

It was bizarre to me, at the time, that someone couldn’t come up with at least a couple of arguments against a particular policy, even one they supported. But I’ve found this to be all to common among the leftists I know (including my moderate-left wife, unfortunately).

Mullaney on February 21, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Having lived as a (relative) liberal among conservatives, and since then as a (relative) conservative among liberals, I can tell you that I have taken far more abuse as the latter.

damage done on February 21, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Fred 2 on February 21, 2014 at 1:13 AM

So how does that not make them stupid?

Bitter Clinger on February 21, 2014 at 9:49 AM

The other day I had a patient show up wearing a T-shirt that said “I heard it on Faux News so it must be a lie” and below that “Proud to be Liberal”

She was actually a very nice person. Very pleasant and cooperative. Delusional, but very pleasant. I would venture to say that liberals are not necessarily bad people, but they are really not very rational in their political thought, and are evidently easily swayed by transparently illogical arguments.

NOMOBO on February 21, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Some of my closest friends are very liberal – I love them dearly.

Some of my closest friends are RINOs – I love them dearly.

My very best friend is such a raging conservative (and also gay like myself), he’d make this crowd on HA look like a HuffPo coffee klatch.

It never hurts to have diversity of thought and opinion in your social circle… it can make us stronger in our convictions and it never hurts to hear other points of view.

dpduq on February 21, 2014 at 10:48 AM

NOMOBO on February 21, 2014 at 10:46 AM

I think this illustrates the point nicely. The left really thinks those of us on the right are brainwashed by Fox News (for the record, I have probably seen more MSNBC in my life than Fox, but I rarely watch either), as if there would be no conservatives if Fox News didn’t exist. But in reality, Fox News is more of a result than a cause. Heck, the left talks about Sean Hannity more than the right does. Yet, I’ve regularly seen debate tactics on the left that rise no higher than “You need to turn off Fox News”. It’s laughable (Meanwhile my left-wing bum of a father-in-law watches MSNBC most of his waking hours; and make no mistake, whatever one can say about the quality of left-wing arguments in general, MSNBC is particularly idiotic).

Besides that, I find this an odd point to be making. So, you mean to tell me that despite being exposed to left-wing viewpoints from K-12 teachers and administrators, college professors, celebrities, public radio, most of the MSM, etc., a few minutes of watching the one network that has right-leaning views is going to brainwash us? How strong must left-wing arguments be if they can be undone so easily?

Mullaney on February 21, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Powers had a real feminist chip on her shoulder early in her Fox tenure. Now she is a liberal in the traditional sense, not a rabid left winger.

Nexialist on February 21, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Wait, what?

BuckeyeSam on February 20, 2014 at 4:32 PM

I know. When that’s where the conversation begins it’s hard to take much of the rest seriously.

Cindy Munford on February 22, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Kirsten is my favorite liberal. A thinker. In fact, there are times when she makes more sense than others on the Fox panel. Her spat with Kelly was memorable in that Kelly was in the wrong and Kirstin handled it well. BUT, it’s only good to have another point of view when the other point of view has some sense behind it unlike Chrissy Matthews or Big Fathead Ed.

HiJack on February 22, 2014 at 11:26 AM

dpduq on February 21, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Good to hear he is conservative (I’m assuming you mean fiscal and military), but that second part is doubtful (unless you are counting the trolls and mobys).

Pattosensei on February 22, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Fantastic. So, all you really have to do to convince a liberal that we’re not all evil and stupid is pay her a few million dollars.
Apparently, the market does work!

morganfrost on February 23, 2014 at 8:34 AM