Green Room

Video: “Raw men”?

posted at 3:12 pm on February 7, 2014 by

It’s popping up on Twitter as I write this, but I’d assume this is a slow-scroll Teleprompter issue. Still, it’s pretty danged funny in context here:

Yahoo’s Chris Moody wonders whether this is a regional pronunciation issue:

I’ve never heard it pronounced as two different words, but I’m not an expert on linguistics … or on ramen, for that matter. When I was wage-slaving and job-locked, I mostly made Kraft mac & cheese — 30 cents a box, and two meals, if you had a couple of hot dogs with it.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Rah-men. I still eat it although I make a lot more money than I used to.

22044 on February 7, 2014 at 3:17 PM

What can we expect from someone who pronounces “corpsman” as “corpse man”?

What an idiot.

oldsquid on February 7, 2014 at 3:20 PM

“Raw-Men” is a Hawaiian pronunciation.

Polynesians also call Ramen noodles “Saimigi” (sigh-me-ngy)

libfreesMom on February 7, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Freudian slip from our first angry Lesbian POTUS.

Appalacher on February 7, 2014 at 3:24 PM

libfreesMom on February 7, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Heh…

Akzed on February 7, 2014 at 3:30 PM

“Raw-Men” is a Hawaiian pronunciation.

Polynesians also call Ramen noodles “Saimigi” (sigh-me-ngy)

libfreesMom on February 7, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Is that why your son ended up looking for raw men as an adult after eating raw men as a child?

NotCoach on February 7, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Meh, I’d bet a dollar to a hole in a donut that he has never eaten Ramen noodles except when he was stoned and not at all in the decade. The break in the words I think is just an artifact of his choppy speech pattern.

deepdiver on February 7, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Well, as a young man, Barry was pretty well known among the Chicago bath house crowd. Just sayin’…

SteveThomas on February 7, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Well, at least he didnt say “Reggie’s noodle”.

Jeddite on February 7, 2014 at 4:47 PM

“Raw-Men” is a Hawaiian pronunciation.

Polynesians also call Ramen noodles “Saimigi” (sigh-me-ngy)

libfreesMom on February 7, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Actually, most of us in Hawaii refer to those noodles as “saimin.”

Stu Gotts on February 7, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Well, they don’t pronounce it that way in Chicago.

Fallon on February 7, 2014 at 5:45 PM

You know, as dependent as he is on that teleprompter, it really shouldn’t be all that surprising that he understands nothing whatsoever of what the words “spirit of independence” mean.

lineholder on February 7, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Well, they don’t pronounce it that way in Chicago.

Fallon on February 7, 2014 at 5:45 PM

In Chicago, Raw Men is pronounced Sinclair, with a silent press.

Flange on February 7, 2014 at 5:52 PM

He sounds like he’s saying “raw-myen” (raw-myeon) which is what we called it in Korea.

sulla on February 7, 2014 at 6:18 PM

I heard he used to eat it before going to watch a match of baseball at Cominskey Field!

nextgen_repub on February 7, 2014 at 7:01 PM

I’ve heard some people here in eastern NC pronounce it as “raymond”, as in something everybody loves.

yongoro on February 7, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Not surprising…this is the guy who loves his arugula.

And hey…I see a link in the headlines that says “raw men” and I gotta say, I was a little disappointed. ;)

JetBoy on February 7, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Sorry to say, people, his pronunciation of the word is much closer than that of most Americans, the second syllable especially (which, Romanized, is close to “myon.”) He doesn’t do so well with the first, since he’s approximating the sound of an “R” (which is the wrong consonant).

Lolo on February 7, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Oh, and I lived in Seoul for 35 years.

Lolo on February 7, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Oh, during my cannibal days in New Guinea in the early nineteenth century we did consume raw men on rainy days when we couldn’t get a fire going.

We also called that sashimi.

Anyway, good to see all of these international experts on ramen checking in:))

Sherman1864 on February 8, 2014 at 1:37 AM

…sometimes…he has difficulty reading!…his eyes react to something!

KOOLAID2 on February 8, 2014 at 1:37 AM

Is “Raw Men” eaten by a “Corpse Men”?

Sounds like he has been watching too many zombie movies…

Snowblind on February 8, 2014 at 1:58 AM

Oh, and I lived in Seoul for 35 years.

Lolo on February 7, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Um, that wasn’t meant to sound so sanctimonious.

The general pronunciation of the word is the same in both Japan and Korea, the word in either country stemming from Chinese. But I hadn’t realized before: the word has entered the American English lexicon. So I suppose its correct pronunciation is what Americans decide it is. (Americans do the same with “karaoke,” which is actually something like “kah-lah-oh-kay.”)

Since he’s clearly not on the teleprompter, I’d also suppose there’s a pretty good chance, with this guy, that he just stumbled upon a pronunciation of his own, something that happens when he speaks outside his comfort zone. (Eat instant noodles? This guy?) I’d lean towards such an explanation; I doubt he checked with anyone beforehand to get it right.

It’s the kind of thing we noticed from East Asia, as a sort of introduction to Obama, when he executed that clownish bow to the Japanese emperor awhile back. He obviously didn’t ask anyone with the slightest knowledge of how to do it correctly. He just went headlong into it, blithely assuming he had it right. (In contrast, Nixon’s 1972 bow to the father, Hirohito, showed excellent form; either he knew how to do it, or was coached.) In Obama, we saw a buffoon that day.

Whatever the case, I did not hear the word “raw” or “men” in the video. The vowel of the first syllable was very different, and the second syllable included an unmistakable consonant blend.

Lolo on February 8, 2014 at 2:38 AM

Pandering, once again, to the San Francisco elite.

arik1969 on February 8, 2014 at 4:17 AM

Pandering, once again, to the San Francisco Rice-a-Roni elite.

arik1969 on February 8, 2014 at 4:17 AM

Just come out and say it.

yongoro on February 8, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Everybody Loves Rawmen

Shy Guy on February 8, 2014 at 12:13 PM

I’m Ron Burgundy?

Meric1837 on February 8, 2014 at 1:35 PM

I remember living on ramen and eggs for a bit. I could get an 18 pack of eggs and a 20 pack of ramen for under $3. I wonder if the president has any idea what he is talking about.

jhffmn on February 9, 2014 at 8:25 AM