Green Room

“Voting 92 percent of time with the President doesn’t work here in North Carolina”

posted at 11:25 am on February 6, 2014 by

Nice catch by America Rising.  Here’s now-Sen. Kay Hagan campaigning against then-Sen. Elizabeth Dole back in 2008, arguing that North Carolinians deserve better than a Senator who votes with the president (Bush, in that case) a whopping 92 percent of the time:

“It is time for someone to reach across party lines and finally get something done in this country. Voting 92% of time with the president, whether you support him or not, doesn’t work here in North Carolina.

Guess who’s voted with President Obama 96 percent of the time?  How might that degree of unbending partisan fealty “work” in North Carolina, Kay — especially given these numbers?  Hagan’s sky-high Obama loyalty score is also more than a tad ironic in light of her recent refusals to say whether she considers the president an asset to her campaign.  Question for Tar Heel State voters: Why won’t Kay Hagan appear publicly with a man whose policies she virtually always supports?  Puzzling.  It can’t possibly be because she’s trying to fool them into thinking she’s not a servile rubber-stamp for his unpopular agenda, can it?

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

NC, you know what to do.

DanMan on February 6, 2014 at 11:29 AM

NC, you know what to do.

DanMan on February 6, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Elect Clay Aiken?

I kid! I kid!

UltimateBob on February 6, 2014 at 11:39 AM

I guess 92% isn’t high enough?

stevefromoz on February 6, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Why won’t Kay Hagan appear publicly with a man whose policies she virtually always supports? Puzzling. It can’t possibly be because she’s trying to fool them into thinking she’s not a servile rubber-stamp for his unpopular agenda, can it?

Oh, she would, but not in the city of Raleigh. She would be with him in Chapel Hill in a heartbeat.

nobar on February 6, 2014 at 11:47 AM

That seat has changed hands every election since I moved to NC 19 years ago. Richard Burr’s seat was Jessie Helms’ seat for a long time. Hagen’s seat was Lauch Faircloth, John Edwards, Elizabeth Dole and now Kay Hagen. I suspect it is going to flip this year once again.

Sparky on February 6, 2014 at 12:00 PM

#ShiftyKay

SteveInRTP on February 6, 2014 at 12:07 PM

nobar on February 6, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Yup

SteveInRTP on February 6, 2014 at 12:08 PM

any recent polling out of NC? how low is she amongst likely voters? more importantly, how is the gop primary shaping up? the fastest way for her to retain her seat is to have the ‘wrong’ person go up against her …
[!]

ABreitbart on February 6, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Most recent primary polling, done by PPP, has Thom Tillis leading the primary with 19%.

Most recent general election polling, done by Rasmussen, has her losing 47%-40% against Tillis and 43%-39% to Greg Brannon.

topdawg on February 6, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Greg Brannon was my wife’s OB/GYN when our daughter was born 17 years ago. The field is pretty large right now I suspect it will be between Tillis and Brannon. Either will get my vote, with my preference being Greg.

Sparky on February 6, 2014 at 12:27 PM

It’s because she’s a WILDLY enthusiastic rubber-stamp for his unpopular agendauntil a year before she needs to be reelected.

PolAgnostic on February 6, 2014 at 12:32 PM

So is she going to use this in an ad?

rrpjr on February 6, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Does Sen. Hagen know she has this huge fork stuck in her?

BigAlSouth on February 6, 2014 at 12:38 PM

@ topdawg, Sparky

thx. — sounds as if it’s well in hand … which means those two should do everything they can to not say/do something abjectly stupid in the next few months b4 the primary
[!!]

ABreitbart on February 6, 2014 at 12:52 PM

I don’t see her pulling off a win in the election. She painted herself as Saint Kay with the passage of Obamacare. Plus there’s been a wave of corruption through the Dem Party in NC that has induced a gag reflex in a lot of voters here.

lineholder on February 6, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Does Sen. Hagen know she has this huge fork stuck in her?

BigAlSouth on February 6, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Hi Al. Yeah, I think she’s going down. It serves her right for participating in imposing Obamacare on this country!

TarheelBen on February 6, 2014 at 2:15 PM

I lived in North Carolina for 25 years before moving to the People’s Republic of Northern Virginia. With my knowledge of the Tar Heel State, I think I can say with certainty that you can stick a fork in her. She’s toast.

Athanasius on February 6, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Obama is wildly unpopular here outside the college enclaves and black communities, so I don’t expect this race to be that close.

blue13326 on February 6, 2014 at 4:40 PM

I think there are now 7 candidates vying for the R nomination. The. PPP poll mentioned had Hagan losing to a couple other completely unknown candidates as well as Tillis and Brannon. Hagan should be blown out.

My biggest fear is that Rove may do something stupid. I expect him to throw wild haymakers at Brannon. I could see him upsetting enough conservatives in the primary to make Hagan viable again. Or, worse, running Tillis as an independent when he loses the primary to Brannon. I really do think the worst about Karl Rove and his motives. Tillis would be far better than Hagan, but I view him as joining the McCain/Graham/Murkowski brigade.

kpguru on February 6, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Hagan in NC, Landrieu in LA, Pryor in AR, etc. Adopt centrist to conservative policy positions when running, then vote consistently left after election, then change course again when running for reelection. Who do they think they’re fooling? Unless another Akin/Buck/Angle/Mourdouck clone wins the GOP nomination, these chameleons will be voted out in 2014.

Dan333 on February 6, 2014 at 6:27 PM

60th vote for Obamacare.

22044 on February 6, 2014 at 6:57 PM

I’ll bet almost every dem senator has a ranking up there with Hagan. The ones that don’t probably voted no on bills because they weren’t liberal enough.

Wigglesworth on February 6, 2014 at 9:09 PM

I can already see the devastating political commercials that are coming in Kay’s future.

Truth Gun on February 7, 2014 at 5:15 AM

I wish I could vote in all of these races because I would love to see the end of the “moderate southern democrat” even if there is no such thing anymore.

Dr. Brannon would be my choice in NC but Tillis would be acceptable, at least from my at a distance viewpoint.

cardinalmike on February 7, 2014 at 8:12 AM

My biggest fear is that Rove may do something stupid.
. . .
kpguru on February 6, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Count on it. With Rovites, it’s all about him rather than conservative ideology.

BigAlSouth on February 7, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Lived here most of my 50 years…Kay is pure awful!!!
But…like has been expressed here already, I truly will not
be surprised if the “stupid” party botches what should be a
cakewalk come election day.
Meh to Tillis, but he would be an improvement. Greg is the way to go, but there have been enough squishes rolling into NC these last few years to make this primary one to induce massive heartburn.
Comes down to who’s gonna go full retard first.

wolfplus3 on February 7, 2014 at 10:35 AM

I guess 92% isn’t high enough?

stevefromoz on February 6, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Thread winner.

unclesmrgol on February 7, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Hagan, Lincoln, Pryor…don’t forget Warner in Virginia. Runs as a pro-business candidate and yet he has been nothing but a solid vote for the Obama agenda.

Angineer on February 7, 2014 at 11:15 PM