Green Room

Video: California cop arrests firefighter — while he’s on duty, at the scene of an accident

posted at 9:39 am on February 6, 2014 by

There’s divided government, and then there’s divided government.

San Diego, California News Station – KFMB Channel 8 – cbs8.com>

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I don’t have to think about it. I did it. How I did it is covered in 1,000′s of reports I wrote. Retired now. If you are that curious…. Figure out who I am and what department I worked for.

Conservative4Ever on February 6, 2014 at 3:32 PM

I’m not that curious about what you did specifically. I’m curious as to your take on what police departments in general should be doing. And the fact that you did it as a career and wrote thousands of reports does not mean that you shouldn’t have to think about it to answer the question. First, there’s no guarantee that what you did was what police in general should be doing. Secondly, if you were an excellent police officer and did exactly what police should do, that hardly indicates what police in general are doing.

Regardless, though I understand this might offend you personally because of your career, I stand by my original assertion. Police departments have become far to militarized, far too violent, and far too drunk with their own power. They need to be knocked back down a peg or two and made to realize that, regardless of whose motto it is or is not, their primary job is to serve the citizens of the communities in which they operate, not to be an enforcement arm for the state. And I feel that way regardless of what the Supreme Court has said on the matter. The Supreme Court has also said that we have a Constitutional right to kill our babies. And the Supreme Court once said segregating black people into separate schools was okay. The opinion of the Supreme Court carries very little weight with me.

Shump on February 6, 2014 at 4:03 PM

I would say that officer acted stupidly, but probably can’t because he’s black and that’d be racist.

stick on February 6, 2014 at 4:07 PM

The cop in this video is the kind who, after he retires, is going to shoot the father of some young kid in a movie theater, just because he’s texting on his phone.

Tom Servo on February 6, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Conservative4Ever on February 6, 2014 at 3:32 PM

My guess? Internal Affairs…

affenhauer on February 6, 2014 at 4:56 PM

My wife was involved in a collision on the Ventura Freeway in Ventura several years ago. When I arrived on the scene, the paramedics were loading her on a gurney. I remarked to the CHP officer nearest me that the firetruck was quite an attention-getter as I approached the scene. He said that he used to fear for his life before the FD started showing up on freeways.

MikeinPRCA on February 6, 2014 at 5:26 PM

So what do YOU think the role of police departments should be?

Shump on February 6, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Take the report?? SC has said they have no “duty to protect”.

cervelorod on February 6, 2014 at 6:09 PM

My guess? Internal Affairs…

affenhauer on February 6, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Nope

Conservative4Ever on February 6, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Shump on February 6, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Agreed. Knock them down more, all the way back to Adam-12. Take away their bad-ass toys, just service pistol and shotgun. Leave the swat gear to sheriffs dept so the citizens can keep him in check with their votes.

AH_C on February 6, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Pretty typical of the state of America’s cops these days. The only thing worse than the thuggish nature of these officers are their sympathizers. Of course in every police state there will be those who jump at the chance to lick the boots of their oppressor.

I think it stems from a mistaken belief that it can’t happen to them. Useful idiots…

phadedjaded on February 6, 2014 at 6:44 PM

This is what happens when u give a bunch of C and D students a gun and authority.

Spliff Menendez on February 6, 2014 at 7:31 PM

This isn’t the first time this sort of thing has happened. Check out this vid (YouTube). Cop tells just-arrived pumper driver to move it; FF captain (attempting to treat a patient) tells driver to stay where he is; cop cuffs captain. Here’s the rest of the story: FF captain wasn’t charged, just cuffed & detained (“humiliated”) for 23 minutes. captain sues the cop, wins $17,500 (from taxpayers, of course).

There are several other similar incidents on YouTube.

I’m sympathetic to cops wanting to keep lanes clear. But you gotta be dumber than a bag of rocks to cuff a first responder.

Splashman on February 6, 2014 at 7:43 PM

My guess? Internal Affairs…

affenhauer on February 6, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Nope

Conservative4Ever on February 6, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Whatever department it was, they obviously employed at least one major d!ck.

Splashman on February 6, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Whatever department it was, they obviously employed at least one major d!ck.

Splashman on February 6, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Why on Earth would you call me one?

Conservative4Ever on February 6, 2014 at 8:13 PM

AH_C on February 6, 2014 at 6:15 PM

I happen to agree with that sentiment. Too many chiefs of large departments have openly stated they would enforce unConstitutional violations of our 2nd Amendment. The militarization also concerns me greatly. I do understand how this hated of officers stems from some of these departments acting this way.

I also understand many people have had encounters with officers that leave them very angry. Rightly so in many of these incidents.

I’m a 3rd generation officer. My grandfather often told me that an officer should never let 5% of the population you deal with to color your views on 95% of the population. Just the same, people should not think that all officers are like the jerks they encountered in a negative way.

I’m sure more than 5% of officers should not be on the force. But the great majority of officers really are good ones. Their work is seldom shown to the public.

Conservative4Ever on February 6, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Conservative4Ever on February 6, 2014 at 8:22 PM

I agree – it’s the “bad apples” that spoil it for the rest, in any field, but especially where some type of unilateral exercise of authority is involved.

If the general public wants to see officers putting their lives on the line, dealing with real low-lifers and in a professional manner, tell them to go watch Cops on TV. Most will never get near a ride-along.

IrishEyes on February 6, 2014 at 9:31 PM

They won’t arrest illegal invaders but American’s doing their job they’ll hassle.

Flange on February 6, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Sadly it’s not even surprising anymore (though still enraging), especially in Kalifornia though the report mentioned another incident in MO.

Yakko77 on February 6, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Oh, I’ve got a good one to tell. This week, my husband (a contractor and head of the maintenance committee) was called by the lady who takes care of our church about the soffetts needing some work. So he called one of his carpenters and while waiting for him to show up, thought he’d go up to the cemetery to visit with his dad while he waited.

The phone rang before he could get out of the truck (church lady again) so he was talking to her about the soffetts and buying more spaces for our plot when a car drove up the hill. Then the car backed out, then back in, then back out. He was just opening the truck door when a deputy drove in and parked just below him.

So he closed the door and went down to see what the deputy wanted. When he got down the hill, there was another cop waiting at the bottom of the hill cutting him off so he couldn’t get out of the cemetery, and the one behind him pulled his lights!

Yes, my husband (whose family donated the land the church and cemetery sits on!) got pulled over in our church cemetery! Thankfully one of the deputies knew him, apologized and hubby just shrugged it off, but I was livid.

This isn’t in some town, or city. This is right in the middle of the Appalachian mountains! Population about 3,200! Whomever was in that car took one look at my scruffy hubby and decided he didn’t belong in a cemetery and called the law on him. We haven’t had any break ins or anything tore up, so I don’t know who does such a thing. But to send 2 deputies, in broad daylight to check someone in a private cemetery??

We’ve got a pretty good idea of who it was. Yankee city people just moved in the area, so until proven different, that’s who I think it was. Sheriff’s dept. wouldn’t tell me when I called. But, it’ll get out, always does, and when it does, I fully intend to introduce myself.

graywaiter on February 7, 2014 at 7:53 AM

Bizarro World. If this guy was an illegal alien, California would give him an EBT card and a law license.

Sig Sour on February 7, 2014 at 8:56 AM