Green Room

Justin Bieber flies high?

posted at 7:35 am on February 5, 2014 by

I mean, really high. As in, so high that pilots have to wear oxygen masks in order to keep from getting contact highs and losing their licenses because of failed drug tests:

Justin Bieber and his father were “extremely abusive” to a flight attendant as their private jet flew from Canada to New Jersey on Friday, forcing her to take refuge in the cockpit, according to an official report obtained exclusively by NBC News.

According to multiple law enforcement sources, the leased, luxurious Gulfstream IV on which the 19-year-old Canadian pop star, his father and an entourage of 10 friends traveled was so full of marijuana smoke that the pilots were forced to wear oxygen masks.

“The captain of the flight stated that he warned the passengers, including Bieber, on several occasions to stop smoking marijuana,” says the official report of the incident. “The captain also stated he needed to request that the passengers stop their harassing behavior toward the flight attendant and after several warnings asked the flight attendant to stay with him near the cockpit to avoid any further abuse.”

Read the whole thing. One gets the impression that the real problem here isn’t Bieber as much as it is his father — and that some significant time behind bars might do both of them some good. It does, though, almost answer the question of why the DEA took such an interest in their flight last week. I’d bet that the pilots and the attendant alerted the DEA as to what was happening during the flight.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

What’s this bieber I keep hearing about?

Lost in Jersey on February 5, 2014 at 7:57 AM

“Time for some air traffic problems at Teterboro”

JetBoy on February 5, 2014 at 8:10 AM

The DEA doesn’t take kindly anybody smuggling drugs across the border. I’m told it’s a big no-no.

BigGator5 on February 5, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Talk about endangering lives of themselves and others.

Imrahil on February 5, 2014 at 8:37 AM

BigGator5 on February 5, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Dat old school.

Flange on February 5, 2014 at 8:39 AM

the leased, luxurious Gulfstream IV

If it were my company, anyone associated with Justin would be permanently banned from availing themselves of my services. Wouldn’t risk my employees good standing — or lives.

And I’ve seen parents get high with their kids. Not my own though.

rbj on February 5, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Bieber sounds like a real pr*ck, to be sure, but the main thing these kinds of stories raise in me is even more disgust (if that’s possible) for the media in this country. This is an old story: build some young punk up until his head is swimming and he thinks he’s a god, then, when he inevitably starts screwing up his life in some way, turn on him and rip him to shreds. Bieber seems to have reached the rip-him-apart stage. The principals are willing participants in this little morality (or amorality) play, so I shed no tears for them, but setting this whole game up in the media is a pretty sh*tty way to make a living.

SacredFire on February 5, 2014 at 8:59 AM

This is the diary of a madman.

hurricain on February 5, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Somebody needs to open up a family sized can of whupa$$ on this punk…and his sad excuse for a father.

NavyMustang on February 5, 2014 at 9:05 AM

the leased, luxurious Gulfstream IV

And I’ve seen parents get high with their kids. Not my own though.

rbj on February 5, 2014 at 8:41 AM

From what I understand, Beibs doesn’t own much of anything outright…leased planes, rented luxury sports cars, even his house is rented I hear. When he falls out of his popularity, which is almost inevitable someday soon, he’ll have nothing to fall back on.

I still have to wonder, how does a 19 year old rent a Lambo? Most rental companies won’t rent any sports cars to anyone under 25.

JetBoy on February 5, 2014 at 9:11 AM

I often wonder if any one of us were in his shoes if we wouldn’t be doing the same thing. It just happens so regularly with the people of fame that it can’t just be that only jerks can become famous. I’m guessing being famous turns you into a jerk.

Deano1952 on February 5, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Or can turn you into a jerk is what I should have stated.

Deano1952 on February 5, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Or can turn you into a jerk is what I should have stated.

Deano1952 on February 5, 2014 at 10:10 AM

When I was 12, I was waiting outside the Yankee’s locker room trying to get some autographs when Dave Winfield came out. He’s often portrayed as a jerk. This older woman with a Yankee shirt on jumped in front of him and as rudely as possible demanded he sign her shirt. He looked at her like she was crazy and told her to beat it. She started screaming and cursing at him, saying how big a fan she was and he owed her an autograph, so he started right back at her. So I did my best impression of an innocent kid and walked between them while they were arguing and asked politely “Mr. Winfield, would you please sign my ball?” He looked at me and smiled and said “Sure kid.” He then signed the ball while glaring at the woman, hand me the ball and walked away. I think a lot of times being famous brings out the jerk in other people and then it brings it out in the famous person. I think being famous would be a real hassle.

Flange on February 5, 2014 at 10:23 AM

It does sound like a significant portion of Bieber’s issues are from bad parenting. If this is indeed typical behaviour from his father, it would seem that the apple is not falling far from the tree. The money and fame have just exacerbated it, giving them bigger, more expensive, and more public venues for failure.

LibraryGryffon on February 5, 2014 at 10:27 AM

JetBoy on February 5, 2014 at 9:11 AM

They generally won’t rent any car to anyone (at least males) under 21.

Ward Cleaver on February 5, 2014 at 10:32 AM

LibraryGryffon on February 5, 2014 at 10:27 AM

What about his mother? She’s supposed to be a great mom. Is that why he’s hanging with his dad now?

Ward Cleaver on February 5, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Flange on February 5, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Nice story. Still have the ball?

Deano1952 on February 5, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Nice story. Still have the ball?

Deano1952 on February 5, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Oh yeah. It also has Phil Neikro and Don Mattingly’s autograph on it.

Flange on February 5, 2014 at 11:11 AM

…deport him!

KOOLAID2 on February 5, 2014 at 11:14 AM

So, where are the calls for drug testing Congress?

Christien on February 5, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Canadian Jack*ss!!!

canopfor on February 5, 2014 at 1:19 PM

It doesn’t surprise me at all that dad’s along from the ride, because little Biebs is his creation. So many child stars are what they are because of serious efforts by their parents to put them there. They aren’t discovered so much as thrust into the faces of producers by parents.

While it’s completely natural for parents to want their children to succeed, they have to know what success in pop culture, unlike academics, will bring: drug abuse, sexual abuse, significant emotional problems, and so on. But the parents know that they’ll be the first member of the entourage and entitled to the associated perks.

I think the same thing goes for young athletes, although to a lesser degree (because of the discipline required in physical competition). With all the money being spent on trainers and traveling youth leagues, many children are finding it harder to compete with those whose parents act as if getting little Johnny into the NFL is a full time job.

Dead Hand Control on February 5, 2014 at 1:25 PM