Green Room

Report: Philip Seymour Hoffman found dead of apparent heroin overdose

posted at 2:12 pm on February 2, 2014 by

A truly dazzling actor.  A deeply pernicious addiction.  And a tragic end:

Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead Sunday of a possible heroin overdose in his Manhattan apartment, a police source said. Police said they were investigating a death at the actor’s home on Bethune St. They were alerted to the death around 11:15 a.m. A source said Hoffman was found alone with a needle in his arm in the bathroom of his apartment. Sources said the actor used heroin.

RIP.  What was his greatest role?

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Hugely talented… it’s sad that someone so gifted and with so much success still could not find happiness without the help of drugs. Awful. RIP

dpduq on February 2, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Yeah, so weird how PSH could have maintained a heroin habit like that for so long yet been so prolific.

WhatSlushfund on February 2, 2014 at 5:16 PM
Which means either heroin isn’t all that bad or acting isn’t all that hard. He’s dead, so I’ll go with the latter.

Ronnie on February 2, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Actually he was clean for 23 years until he fell off the wagon in 2012. So the bulk of his career was while clean.

SoRight on February 2, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Scotty in “Boogie Nights”.

Cookie?

famous amos on February 2, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Talk about a teachable moment.

Knott Buyinit on February 2, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Capote – hands down!!

cww on February 2, 2014 at 8:36 PM

He was wonderful in magnolia. But everyone was wonderful in magnolia.

Damned drugs.

bmmg39 on February 2, 2014 at 8:38 PM

I never saw him give a bad performance, even though the movie might be a Hollywood sermon. What a waste of talent. RIP.

2ndMAW68 on February 2, 2014 at 8:53 PM

“He was great actor.” So what? Another self-indulgent profesional phony commits accidental suicide. Boo freaking hoo. Actors are a dime a dozen and this sad story will line tomorrow’s bird cage. In a week’s time it will be “Phillip who?

LCT688 on February 2, 2014 at 8:59 PM

On Twitter.

Who’s having a worse day: Peyton Manning or Philip Seymour Hoffman?

I have to admit I LOLed. Literally.

Bitter Clinger on February 2, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Terribly sad.

RIP

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 2, 2014 at 9:17 PM

LCT688 on February 2, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Agree. Never heard of him.

I am sure he meant something for losers obsessed with the trash also known as “‘popular culture”,
but in the real world he was just another sad, pathetic druggie.

Norwegian on February 2, 2014 at 10:16 PM

What was his greatest role?

Truman Capote, obviously… without question.

ExpressoBold on February 2, 2014 at 10:30 PM

did nobody mention his role in “along came polly”? brilliantly douchey!

“capote” was great, too.

homesickamerican on February 2, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Beiber in 15 years days. Too bad, he has way more talent than beiber.

deimos on February 2, 2014 at 4:22 PM

redguy on February 2, 2014 at 11:09 PM

LCT688 on February 2, 2014 at 8:59 PM

I think that is what Hoffman told himself. “I am a great actor, so what?”
So they go lose themselves in drug & drink because they have too much money
and free time. Selfish really – I guess he did not give much thought for his kids
or girlfriend.

redguy on February 2, 2014 at 11:11 PM

He leaves behind three children. His greatest role? Sure as hell not fatherhood.

Ronnie on February 2, 2014 at 11:20 PM

SoRight on February 2, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Didn’t appear to make a difference in his performance pre-2012 and post-2012. Anyway, there are enough drug addicts in Hollywood to prove my point. Acting isn’t rocket surgery.

Ronnie on February 2, 2014 at 11:27 PM

…R I P ! …
needles kill!

KOOLAID2 on February 3, 2014 at 12:01 AM

Twister….the suck zone.

No seriously, I think he enhanced some movies with his secondary roles. The roles, although smaller, tend to make a good movie better.

Oil Can on February 3, 2014 at 2:17 AM

BTW, for those wondering, Mockingjay Part 1 was already in the can and Part 2 is a week away from completion. So reportedly, Hoffman’s final performance(s) as Plutarch should be relatively intact.

Doughboy on February 2, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Sh*t. I completely forgot about that. I was telling my son what happened and trying to remember a role he might have been familiar with. I got to Money Ball and the lightbulb went on.

Catching Fire never once crossed either of our minds, and we’re both huge fans of the whole series–books and movies. I’m glad that Hoffman’s work in Mockingjay is complete. And it’s a crying shame that he died. He’s been one of my favorites for years.

nukemhill on February 3, 2014 at 2:27 AM

No matter who it is, it’s always sad when hearing about any death due to drug addiction/ overdose. And and at 46, PSH probably didn’t get the chance to do the best work he’d ever done.
My condolences are with all families who have suffered the loss of a loved one due to drug use.

A drug counselor I know once told me 6 out of every 7 heroin users will end up dying from an addiction related death.
Odds are really low for anyone to break completely free once they’ve gone down that road.

lynncgb on February 3, 2014 at 9:16 AM

They showed a clip of an interview from 60 Minutes (I think) and he was telling the reporter that he woke up to the evils of drugs at 22. Now I know hindsight is 20/20 but his body language screamed that he was being dishonest. Such a shame, he seemed like a nice guy.

Cindy Munford on February 3, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Great actor but not a surprise ending. RIP.

My favorite movies, Almost Famous and The Ides of March.

Fallon on February 3, 2014 at 10:50 AM

It might not have been his “best” role but he was really good in Pirate Radio.

Jomama on February 3, 2014 at 11:26 AM

It might not have been his “best” role but he was really good in Pirate Radio.

Jomama on February 3, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Another good one. IMHO, character actors are much more interesting than leading men or women.

Fallon on February 3, 2014 at 12:11 PM

He and probably 2 dozen other addicts over the weekend died…he was just one of too many.

No greater loss than the others…just ask their family…

right2bright on February 3, 2014 at 12:25 PM

If we would only make heroin legal and safe, eh Paulbots?

PaddyORyan on February 3, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Shocked I am, shocked….
Another Hollywood celebrity dies of a drug OD.
Not exactly a big surprise.

dentarthurdent on February 3, 2014 at 12:27 PM

I have loved every role he has ever played. I spotted him in Big Lebowski and knew he was a huge talent. By Moneyball, he was looking a decade older than his age. RIP, PSH.

John the Libertarian on February 3, 2014 at 12:31 PM

He was also a kid actor in Scent of a Woman.

John the Libertarian on February 3, 2014 at 12:32 PM

46?

I’m 46.

I always thought he was about 15 years older than me.

Hard livin’.

juanito on February 3, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Cindy Munford on February 3, 2014 at 10:35 AM

I don’t think it was dishonesty; he recognized even then how difficult it is to escape the clutches of addiction. He kept it at bay for more than two decades, but then it re-emerged.

bmmg39 on February 3, 2014 at 5:02 PM

The guy always creeped me out for some reason. I never cared for his acting at all. Of course, there are MANY actors today that I don’t give a crap about.

That said, it is a sad and wasted life. Drugs like heroin are nothing but trouble. And I have sadness for his family and friends.

BierManVA on February 3, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Cocaine is GOd’s way of telling you that you are making too much money.~Robin Williams

davidk on February 4, 2014 at 6:07 AM