Green Room

“Fight the powers that be with this powerful Les Paul!”

posted at 1:18 pm on January 31, 2014 by

Via NRO, you have got to appreciate their sense of humor about the whole drawn-out and extremely shady episode.

Great Gibson electric guitars have long been a means of fighting the establishment, so when the powers that be confiscated stocks of tonewoods from the Gibson factory in Nashville—only to return them once there was a resolution and the investigation ended—it was an event worth celebrating. Introducing the Government Series II Les Paul, a striking new guitar from Gibson USA for 2014 that suitably marks this infamous time in Gibson’s history.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Nice… persecuted guitar wood, what a concept!

Akzed on January 31, 2014 at 1:22 PM

A+

Del Dolemonte on January 31, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Being that I’m a huge Les Paul/Gibson fan… this is AWESOME!!! :-)

TrubadorMike on January 31, 2014 at 1:55 PM

I’m getting one for my hubby. He will have an awesome ax and a future heirloom. A+++

neyney on January 31, 2014 at 2:14 PM

There’s an Explorer, an SG, and a Flying V, too. Too bad the color is government fugly.

Caiwyn on January 31, 2014 at 2:15 PM

I’m a Fender guy, but I think I’m going to have to make the switch over to Gibson now.

St Gaudens on January 31, 2014 at 2:17 PM

neyney on January 31, 2014 at 2:14 PM

[Get on one knee. "Ouch, my back"] Will you marry me? :-)

Flange on January 31, 2014 at 2:23 PM

…ha ha!

KOOLAID2 on January 31, 2014 at 2:36 PM

My choice:

Gibson 2014 Government Series Explorer Electric Guitar

OxyCon on January 31, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Rush: 2112

RedNewEnglander on January 31, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Another excerpt:

And because it’s a Gibson, the Government Series II Les Paul is a pure and powerful tone machine. Aided by a pair of Dirty Fingers+ pickups, among the hottest humbuckers Gibson has ever produced, this historic Les Paul is ready and willing to wage war on tonal timidity—and to get you heard in the process! Add a set of high-quality Grover™ tuners, a black hardshell case with Government Series graphic, a Certificate of Authenticity personally signed by Gibson CEO Henry Juszkiewicz, and legendary Gibson quality and craftsmanship: this is one mighty Les Paul that you’ll want to confiscate quickly and turn to your own creative devices. The Government Series II is limited by the availability of qualifying woods, so seize yours now from your authorized Gibson USA dealer.

Awesome!

Ward Cleaver on January 31, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Tenacious D – The Government Totally Sucks

(NSFW) \m/

Christien on January 31, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Unless I missed it, Fender, Martin, Paul Reed Smith, Schecter, B.C. Rich, Ibanez, Jackson, Rickenbacker, Washburn, and other major American guitar manufacturers sat idly by and didn’t support Gibson, which wasn’t too cool, IMO.

Christien on January 31, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Want.

Fallon on January 31, 2014 at 3:46 PM

With “Dirty Finger” pickups. Classic.

onomo on January 31, 2014 at 3:51 PM

So Stedman Holder and his mob seize the wood, and then give it back? I tried to find some Democrat Media “reporting” on this story but didn’t find much.

Then I stumbled on a story at Ricochet.

Gibson got the wood back, but only after Holder shook them down for $300 grand.

The Chicago Way!

Link

Del Dolemonte on January 31, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Excellent!!!

fegerter on January 31, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Saw these on the wall at a local shop last week, wondered what the flat drab color was all about. Had three different models, LP, SG and… something else, can’t remember.

Midas on January 31, 2014 at 10:30 PM

I love the first run, and missed out, I bought an ebony Les Paul Studio instead. Midas, they are making these in Les Pauls, SG’s, Explorers, and Flying V’s. I have a very sweet Flying V in cardinal red from the end of the Norlin era. I’m a huge fan of Gibson guitars and electric basses, it might have something to do with living in Tennessee where most of them are built, and all of mine were built in Nashville. I’m glad Gibson got their wood back from the bogus lawsuit the DOJ filed. I recently bought a 12oth anniversary SG bass or I’d be all over a thousand dollar explorer no matter what the paint scheme.

Mini-14 on February 1, 2014 at 11:48 AM

I’m a Strat man myself, but have enjoyed playing a Les Paul on loan from a friend and it is a chunky, sweet, sustaining delight.

As Jeff beck and Robert Fripp ably show

profitsbeard on February 1, 2014 at 1:15 PM

profitsbeard on February 1, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Same here. I hope to get a Les Paul someday when my income improves.

Johnny 100 Pesos on February 1, 2014 at 2:10 PM

I’m also a Fender guy. I have a 1967 Telecaster that I love. I also have a 1992 Les Paul I play now and then. This new Gibson looks sweet and the marketing is a great idea. They should have used ebony fret boards instead of rosewood but I hope this guitar helps Gibson recover from government persecution.

Maybe Gibson should include the noted commie Woody Guthrie’s slogan ‘This machine kills facists’ on each guitar.

DeweyWins on February 1, 2014 at 6:33 PM

While I love that they used the rosewood, I’d also love to see it. That tan leaves me cold.

thatsafactjack on February 1, 2014 at 6:57 PM

…They should have used ebony fret boards instead of rosewood….DeweyWins on February 1, 2014 at 6:33 PM

I’m curious what makes you say this. From what I gathered, they used the actual confiscated rosewood for the fret boards. That’s the whole point of the guitar series.

mike_NC9 on February 1, 2014 at 9:44 PM

mike_NC9 on February 1, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Not sure if Gibson imports ebony from the same source or if any ebony wood was confiscated as well. Pre 1993 Gibson used ebony fret boards for the Les Paul Studio. Most prefer ebony to rosewood.

DeweyWins on February 1, 2014 at 10:27 PM

My arsenal consists of a ’62 Japanese reissue Jaguar in Sherwood Green metallic paint, and a ’50′s reissue Strat.

I’ve found the Japanese reissues to be of better quality than Fender’s American made products.

With this move by Gibson, I’m seriously thinking of trading the Strat for a Les Paul. Gotta show them some support for fighting these Obama A-holes.

St Gaudens on February 2, 2014 at 7:08 AM

St Gaudens, keep those japanese reissues, or you will regret it, trust me on this. Go to ZZounds and get one of these $1000 or $1100 LP’s and make 4 equal payments. There will only be 300 of each, and if it’s like last years government models, they will go very fast. I live in Tennessee, so buying new a Gibson is a win-win for me.

Deweywins, I have guitars with rosewood, ebony, maple, and Grenadillo fretboards (my LP studio was one of guitars made after the rosewood confiscations) and I prefer rosewood or maple. I do love the feel of my low fretted ebony fretboard flying V, but most of my musician friends prefer rosewood or maple to ebony for fretboards, as do I.

Mini-14 on February 2, 2014 at 11:57 AM

So, if Rand gets the GOP nomination, will they urge us to “fight the powers that be” with a Deluxe Limited Edition Rand Paul model…?

JohnGalt23 on February 2, 2014 at 2:08 PM

JohnGalt23 on February 2, 2014 at 2:08 PM

I’ll guarantee there won’t be a Chris Christie model if he gets the nod. :)

Mini-14 on February 2, 2014 at 10:31 PM

I love the logo — with the American eagle’s firm claws-extended grip on the rosewood fingerboard.

Of course, the Eagle should not be gold. It should be black, and maybe the middle claw should be extended — to better indicate exactly why the Government acted as it did.

unclesmrgol on February 3, 2014 at 1:37 AM