Video: Is the least free place in America … a college campus?
posted at 2:03 pm on January 30, 2014 by Ed Morrissey
You can have political correctness and have it enforced by college administrators, or you can have free speech. You cannot have both, as FIRE’s Greg Lukianoff explains in the latest Prager University course, “The Least Free Place in America.” Where else in America would you find “free speech zones,” after all?
Question: Which American institution—one that prides itself on being open, democratic, and diverse—punishes its members severely for offering unpopular opinions, while it offers them a very narrow, limited worldview? Answer: Universities. Once the vanguard of open debate and free speech, colleges have become a place where alternative thinking goes to die. Students who speak out on behalf of traditional American ideals, unfortunately, are often silenced by college administrators. Learn how the college campus, a place that should be an intellectual melting pot, has turned into anything but, violating the rights of those who have alternate opinions.
Greg will appear on today’s Ed Morrissey Show, which starts at 4 ET, to discuss this further, as well as his new book Unlearning Liberty. Join us!
Recently in the Green Room:
- Sunday reflection: Matthew 4:1-11
- Rand Paul wins CPAC straw poll
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained