Green Room

Romney: Yes, I was peeved at Candy Crowley

posted at 11:25 am on January 28, 2014 by

Mitt Romney weighed in on the false fact-check seen ’round the world in an interview with Hugh Hewitt last night. In critiquing CNN’s Candy Crowley, Romney was his usual respectful self, but it’s clear he wasn’t pleased. He felt that she inserted herself into the debate to make a misleading point, depriving him of a key opportunity to take the president to task:

HH: Now in the film, Mitt, the conversation comes up, that sequence in the debate and Candy Crowley’s intervention in it. But the only negative word, Mrs. Romney at one point says, ‘Candy Crowley’ and sort of mutters [it] under her breath. Did you feel she was unfair at that moment in the debate?

MR: Well, I don’t think it’s the role of the moderator in a debate to insert themselves into the debate and to declare a winner or a loser on a particular point. And I must admit that at that stage, I was getting a little upset at Candy, because in a prior setting where I was to have had the last word, she decided that Barack Obama was to get the last word despite the rules that we had. So she obviously thought it was her job to play a more active role in the debate than was agreed upon by the two candidates, and I thought her jumping into the interaction I was having with the President was also a mistake on her part, and one I would have preferred to carry out between the two of us, because I was prepared to go after him for misrepresenting to the American people that the nature of the attack.

The former GOP nominee discussed Netflix’s new campaign documentary at length with Hewitt; click through to hear Romney question Charlie Crist’s integrity, discuss his favorite movie, comment on the new GOP nominating calendar, and ponder getting waxed among Hispanic voters.  He also offered some advice to Chris Christie, as Democrats work overtime to negatively define the New Jersey governor in voters’ minds:

HH…That is a problem of all American media. I mean, Governor Christie right now is getting branded, and I don’t know what he does about it. What’s your advice to Governor Christie to avoid getting branded as you did in ’08 and ’12?

MR: Well, you’re right, Hugh, and I look back at someone like, and I said on the film as well, I was talking about Dan Quayle, and said you know, they branded him as someone who wasn’t bright. And actually, he’s a very bright person, a very capable investor and manager of a large investment firm. They used to joke about Jerry Ford, you know, a stumblebum, uncoordinated. Actually, he’s the only American president who’s an All-American. I mean, they completely can get these things wrong, but they brand people. The opposition party obviously wants to do that, and sometimes, the media wants to play along with it, I’m afraid. And when that happens, you’ve got to say okay, what can we do to try and correct that? And it’s hard to do. In Chris Christie’s case, I’ll just note that if they want to brand him as someone who is a bully or pushes people around, you know, I come back and say you know, wouldn’t it be nice in Washington to have a strong leader who takes responsibility for things that don’t go well, who stands up and talks to the American people for two hours about what went wrong, who fires people who don’t do their job? I mean, I think if they’re going to brand Chris Christie as a tough guy, I’m not so sure that’s going to hurt him.

One more tidbit: Which member of Team Romney reportedly vomited after Clint Eastwood’s unusual and meandering RNC speech?

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I just don’t see this happening, but:

Rick Wilson ‏@TheRickWilson 3m
! RT @nickconfessore: Top Romney donor on a ’16 bid: “You think I am kidding. But remember you heard it here first.”

Donald Draper on January 28, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Carl Rove?

KOOLAID2 on January 28, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Hopefully the one that invited him….?

ElectricPhase on January 28, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Why did Candy Crowley just happen to have a copy of Obama’s Benghazi speech so handy during that presidential debate? Oh, I’m sure that she had copies of all of Obama’s speeches and that one happened to be on top of the stack.

And…

How did President Obama know she had it? Remember him instructing her to “get the transcript”?

WestTexasBirdDog on January 28, 2014 at 12:23 PM

While I agree that what Crowley did was despicable and she was in cahoots with the Dems Romney was weak. He should have stopped the debate and insisted on a different moderator or ended it. He had to have known at that point that Crowley wasn’t going to be fair. Romney and a lot of Repubs are gutless. We need warriors not wimps. On that note, the Repubs need to insist that at least half of all debates are moderated by conservatives. If the Dems won’t agree then only do town halls on CSPAN.

neyney on January 28, 2014 at 12:41 PM

neyney on January 28, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Romney should have been more forceful, but end the debate? Get real.

Donald Draper on January 28, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Don’t think Mitt will run again. But if he did and was nominated I would gladly vote for him again in the general. If McCain somehow ran and was nominated again I would not vote for him again.

Texas Zombie on January 28, 2014 at 1:20 PM

At a minimum, Candy Crowley should be disqualified from ever participating in a Presidential debate again.

As Candy Crowley’s employer, CNN should be suspended from paticipating in Presidential debates for at least 3 election cycles.

Unless the American people demand severe consequences for blatant examples of media bias like Candy Crowley displayed, it will continue.

wren on January 28, 2014 at 3:03 PM

neyney on January 28, 2014 at 12:41 PM

I don’t know about stopping the debate, but what Romney could have done, and foreseen, was to put Crowley on notice to limit her comments as a moderator and stop inserting herself into the debate. And then go on to forcefully make his point against Obama. But no, we had to have Mr. Nice Guy running for president.

HiJack on January 28, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Too bad, crybaby. Suck it up. Life ain’t fair. You should be old enough to know that by now.

besser tot als rot on January 28, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Texas Zombie on January 28, 2014 at 1:20 PM

I’d vote for him again!

SauerKraut537 on January 28, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Romney, you’re a gutless wonder!

You couldn’t even handle a fat Candy Crowley and we are supposed to think as POTUS you could deal with a Putin?

Give me a break. The Rockefeller wing of the GOP are nothing but a bunch of quislings and eunuchs.

Jayrae on January 29, 2014 at 7:36 AM

..ACTUALLY..while the MR/HH interview was interesting, HH destoying that old commie Stalin sympsthizer, Pete Seeger, with that caustic obit segment was tonic for the soul!

The War Planner on January 29, 2014 at 7:54 AM

Romney, you are a gutless wonder.

You couldn’t even handle a fat Candy Crowley and we are supposed to believe as POTUS you could deal with a Putin.

The Rockefeller wing of the GOP is nothing but a bunch of quislings and eunuchs.

Until you learn to confront nothing will ever change.

Poor victim!

Jayrae on January 29, 2014 at 8:01 AM

Romney FAILED to learn how to handle a politically biased moderator, even though he had recently watched such an occurance.

What Romney needed to do, at the critical moment that Crowley opened her false fact checking mouth, was to give her the ‘full Gingrich’! Romney needed to challenge her statements and call her out as a media shill for the Democratic party. He should have forced her to backtrack out of her statement regardless if she believed it or not. Making this the point of the final discussion would have pulled the entire debate back into his hands by showing he had the strength to call out media propagandists.

But, I guess Romney either missed, or forgot, the cheering that Gingrich recieved when he called out a media shill moderator. Which is really surprising as that moment led to Gingrich winning the next primary!

Freddy on January 29, 2014 at 5:08 PM