Green Room

Video: A conference call … in real life

posted at 12:22 pm on January 24, 2014 by

If you’ve ever had to do a teleconference — especially an unmoderated call — then you’ll relate to just about every second of this video from PostGradProblems. If you haven’t had to sit through a teleconference for business, let this be a cautionary tale…..

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I did not watch this video to kill time during a conference call, so stop saying I did!

Deafdog on January 24, 2014 at 12:35 PM

EVERY. WORKDAY.

I work for a large IT company and have been in a home office environment for 13 of the last 15 years, including now.

Everyone should be in a cube…. ‘cept me.

SteveInRTP on January 24, 2014 at 12:46 PM

So true. Been on many of these calls as a union rep.

Mike Morrissey on January 24, 2014 at 12:48 PM

I got an accidental conference call recently and got to listen in, unbeknownst to the participants. Thought about putting in my two cents, just to mess with them.

Christien on January 24, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Christien on January 24, 2014 at 12:52 PM

You could have belched really loudly, then stayed quiet, waiting to hear who would get blamed.

CurtZHP on January 24, 2014 at 12:59 PM

CurtZHP on January 24, 2014 at 12:59 PM

LOL! Don’t think it didn’t cross my mind. But I knew one of the participants, so I just called later that day and told about the incident.

Christien on January 24, 2014 at 1:18 PM

LMAO ! I’ve been in more of these dysfunctional meetings than I can count. Most worked about as well as the one in the video. Another example of why face to face meetings work out so much better.

simkeith on January 24, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Painfully true. What?

Bmore on January 24, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Oh, I’m sorry, were you trying to comment?

Go ahead.

Okay, so..

No, go ahead.

Abby Adams on January 24, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Spot on.

Good Lt on January 24, 2014 at 2:01 PM

The video is FOUR minutes? About bad telcons and it’s only FOUR minutes long? I’ve been in telcons that lasted more than four HOURS.

GWB on January 24, 2014 at 2:35 PM

OK, it did hit most of the highlights. Though there was no one chewing their cud (candy or gum) while speaking, and no one holding a conversation disparaging the other members of the meeting while thinking they are muted.

Or snoring…. We once had everyone hang up, then have the operator kill the conference number, then have everyone dial back in, because we couldn’t get a guy to wake up. I think they identified who it was through the operator.

Oh, and they all appeared to know 1) the purpose of the meeting and 2) to actually have the information being addressed. We regularly have slides sent out for a meeting, then the folks who are actually physically present spend the first half hour talking about things that are on slides they didn’t send out.

GWB on January 24, 2014 at 2:51 PM

I’d l_ke to co__ent, but I’m af_aid so_e of my wo_ds are bei_g clip__.

Galtian on January 24, 2014 at 3:39 PM

“Has joined the conference.”

“Hello, who just joined?”

“Has joined the conference.”

“Did we have someone else jump on?”

“Has joined the conference.”

“Has left the conference.”

“People, please state your names when prompted so we know who is joining.”

“Has joined the conference.”

Beo on January 24, 2014 at 4:01 PM

I’ve been in telcons that lasted more than four HOURS.

GWB on January 24, 2014 at 2:35 PM

I would have committed seppuku with a ball-point pen.

CurtZHP on January 24, 2014 at 6:53 PM

I would have committed seppuku with a ball-point pen.

CurtZHP on January 24, 2014 at 6:53 PM

I’ve come close. Though my choice was going to be a mechanical pencil.

GWB on January 24, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Allow me to retort…..

Conference calls have allowed me to do the following:

1) manage activity with multiple locations from a distance
2) conduct fiduciary investigations without having to be present
3) help my son work on his car from a continent away (really)
4) help my daughter work on her homework from a continent away
5) help my wife with Statistics, Business Theory, Accounting, etc….during.my.lunch.hour
6) negotiate business with potential new customers in an extraordinarily competitive business environment without having to physically be there

See the point? For all its problems, we should extol the virtues of a technology that didn’t exist when most of us were young. This is the triumph of human achievement over adversity and a volatile Nature. It’s what we are supposed to champion on these pages, folks! Pick your chins up!

But they do kinda suck.

Bigurn

Bigurn on January 25, 2014 at 1:02 AM

@Bigurn..

…throttle back, old son, it’s supposed to be humor. You’ll NEVER make it to retirement.

The War Planner on January 25, 2014 at 5:57 AM

Just a reminder: People will die

Allahpundit Jun 28, 2017 10:41 PM
Top Pick

“Whipped cream’s killing more people than ever before.”

Top Pick

Medicare for all?

“There comes a point where you gotta get off the crazy train.”

Poll: Dem voters glumly sticking with Pelosi

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 8:41 PM

Disaster ahead?

“When she left it, it was in better shape than it had ever been.”

Manafort, firm registers as foreign agents

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 6:41 PM

Better late than never?

Delivered as promised

“I would like to think that the president saved many innocent men, women and children.”

“The Russia investigation was by far the dominant topic…”

The merry little media war continues.

Criminal enterprise

Politico: Has the SPLC lost its way?

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 3:01 PM

“The organization has always tried to find ways to milk money out of the public…”

Trump legal team backing away from Comey complaint?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 2:31 PM

De-escalation?

Time to get up and go to work, sir

CNN gets glum, defensive after resignations

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 1:01 PM

“If Jeff lit himself on fire, it wouldn’t appease the pro-Trump media.”

Hmmm: FBI probing Russia-based anti-virus firm?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 12:31 PM

“I wouldn’t put their stuff on my computer if you paid me.”

He works hard for the money…

It’s not a slippery slope. It’s a freaking avalanche.

Nuts.

Showdown: Sarah Palin vs the New York Times

Jazz Shaw Jun 28, 2017 9:21 AM

Defamation

Credit where creditor’s due?

More flash than bang, but a very bad sign

“Felix was out on bond after threatening another public servant and has a history of making threats.”

Chaffetz: House needs housing allowances?

Ed Morrissey Jun 27, 2017 8:41 PM

“There are dozens upon dozens of members living in their offices, and I don’t know how healthy that is long term.”

“This isn’t going to get a lot cheaper, it can’t, it won’t.”

“…what we failed to achieve with votes, we would do with weapons.”

“[S]o dumb it’s amazing we even have to have the conversation.”

“It was not necessary.”

“You’re inflaming everyone right here right now with those words!”

“Trump’s people said, ‘We’ll be writing the speech that the President’s Audio-Animatronic figure will be saying.'”

Excuses, excuses.

Not really a “kill all the lawyers” scenario

4 pm ET!

“it has not taken serious steps to end its own complicity in trafficking, including forced laborers from North Korea.”