Green Room

Video: A conference call … in real life

posted at 12:22 pm on January 24, 2014 by

If you’ve ever had to do a teleconference — especially an unmoderated call — then you’ll relate to just about every second of this video from PostGradProblems. If you haven’t had to sit through a teleconference for business, let this be a cautionary tale…..

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I did not watch this video to kill time during a conference call, so stop saying I did!

Deafdog on January 24, 2014 at 12:35 PM

EVERY. WORKDAY.

I work for a large IT company and have been in a home office environment for 13 of the last 15 years, including now.

Everyone should be in a cube…. ‘cept me.

SteveInRTP on January 24, 2014 at 12:46 PM

So true. Been on many of these calls as a union rep.

Mike Morrissey on January 24, 2014 at 12:48 PM

I got an accidental conference call recently and got to listen in, unbeknownst to the participants. Thought about putting in my two cents, just to mess with them.

Christien on January 24, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Christien on January 24, 2014 at 12:52 PM

You could have belched really loudly, then stayed quiet, waiting to hear who would get blamed.

CurtZHP on January 24, 2014 at 12:59 PM

CurtZHP on January 24, 2014 at 12:59 PM

LOL! Don’t think it didn’t cross my mind. But I knew one of the participants, so I just called later that day and told about the incident.

Christien on January 24, 2014 at 1:18 PM

LMAO ! I’ve been in more of these dysfunctional meetings than I can count. Most worked about as well as the one in the video. Another example of why face to face meetings work out so much better.

simkeith on January 24, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Painfully true. What?

Bmore on January 24, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Oh, I’m sorry, were you trying to comment?

Go ahead.

Okay, so..

No, go ahead.

Abby Adams on January 24, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Spot on.

Good Lt on January 24, 2014 at 2:01 PM

The video is FOUR minutes? About bad telcons and it’s only FOUR minutes long? I’ve been in telcons that lasted more than four HOURS.

GWB on January 24, 2014 at 2:35 PM

OK, it did hit most of the highlights. Though there was no one chewing their cud (candy or gum) while speaking, and no one holding a conversation disparaging the other members of the meeting while thinking they are muted.

Or snoring…. We once had everyone hang up, then have the operator kill the conference number, then have everyone dial back in, because we couldn’t get a guy to wake up. I think they identified who it was through the operator.

Oh, and they all appeared to know 1) the purpose of the meeting and 2) to actually have the information being addressed. We regularly have slides sent out for a meeting, then the folks who are actually physically present spend the first half hour talking about things that are on slides they didn’t send out.

GWB on January 24, 2014 at 2:51 PM

I’d l_ke to co__ent, but I’m af_aid so_e of my wo_ds are bei_g clip__.

Galtian on January 24, 2014 at 3:39 PM

“Has joined the conference.”

“Hello, who just joined?”

“Has joined the conference.”

“Did we have someone else jump on?”

“Has joined the conference.”

“Has left the conference.”

“People, please state your names when prompted so we know who is joining.”

“Has joined the conference.”

Beo on January 24, 2014 at 4:01 PM

I’ve been in telcons that lasted more than four HOURS.

GWB on January 24, 2014 at 2:35 PM

I would have committed seppuku with a ball-point pen.

CurtZHP on January 24, 2014 at 6:53 PM

I would have committed seppuku with a ball-point pen.

CurtZHP on January 24, 2014 at 6:53 PM

I’ve come close. Though my choice was going to be a mechanical pencil.

GWB on January 24, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Allow me to retort…..

Conference calls have allowed me to do the following:

1) manage activity with multiple locations from a distance
2) conduct fiduciary investigations without having to be present
3) help my son work on his car from a continent away (really)
4) help my daughter work on her homework from a continent away
5) help my wife with Statistics, Business Theory, Accounting, etc….during.my.lunch.hour
6) negotiate business with potential new customers in an extraordinarily competitive business environment without having to physically be there

See the point? For all its problems, we should extol the virtues of a technology that didn’t exist when most of us were young. This is the triumph of human achievement over adversity and a volatile Nature. It’s what we are supposed to champion on these pages, folks! Pick your chins up!

But they do kinda suck.

Bigurn

Bigurn on January 25, 2014 at 1:02 AM

@Bigurn..

…throttle back, old son, it’s supposed to be humor. You’ll NEVER make it to retirement.

The War Planner on January 25, 2014 at 5:57 AM