Green Room

Video: Not everyone thrilled with Woody Allen tribute

posted at 11:02 am on January 13, 2014 by

I’m not much of a fan of entertainment awards shows – I gave up the Oscars a few years back, and had never bothered with any others — so I missed the glitzy tribute to director Woody Allen. Diane Keaton, a former significant other of Allen’s, even did a song and dance, but at least two members of Allen’s former family took to Twitter to object. Mia Farrow opted for an oblique criticism of the presentation, but her son Ronan (who’s now a journalist) went more directly to the point:

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Ronan’s message was in reference to allegations of sexual abuse made by his sister, Farrow and Allen’s daughter, Dylan. Both he and his mother retweeted messages from others pointing to a Vanity Fair article that featured those allegations.

In 1994, a New York State appeals court judge ruling on custody of Farrow and Allen’s children determined the sexual abuse claims were inconclusive.

Shocker? Yeah, not really:

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I always enjoyed his visits to the Ed Sullivan Show in the ’60s, but he has been completely Hollywoodized since those days!

Deano1952 on January 13, 2014 at 11:16 AM

I’m just shocked to see a MSNBC talking head react with trademark classlessness.

What are the odds?

Moesart on January 13, 2014 at 11:19 AM

In Wasilla, they laugh.

cbenoistd on January 13, 2014 at 12:18 PM

I use to side with Farrow but now I think she is full of it.

Allen and Farrow never married and never lived together.
They had not slept with each other for 11 months.
Soon Yi never identified with Farrow’s family and did not see Allen as a father figure.
Farrow told everyone that Soon Yi was retarded yet the retarded girl went on to get a Masters.
Allen and Soon Yi have been together now for over 20 years.

I think Farrow is the poster girl for parental alienation.

p.s.: Farrow’s brother just got put away for molesting kids but I think he liked little boys and not little girls.

Blake on January 13, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Umm, so I guess Farrow’s son isn’t Allen’s.

rickv404 on January 13, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Blake on January 13, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Adopt children, then have sex with them.

yubley on January 13, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Adopt children, then have sex with them.

yubley on January 13, 2014 at 12:56 PM

He didn’t adopt her and she was of age when they started their affair.

Blake on January 13, 2014 at 1:00 PM

He didn’t adopt her and she was of age when they started their affair.

Blake on January 13, 2014 at 1:00 PM

You are correct…. and its still creepy.

AndrewsDad on January 13, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Isn’t the rumor that Ronan Farrow is the love child of Mia Farrow and Frank Sinatra? Methinks Woody isn’t the only one with questionable morals.

Kafir on January 13, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Kafir on January 13, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Of course Ronan isn’t Woody Allen’s kid; look at him. Remember what President Obama said? “If I had a son he’d look like Trayvon Martin.” Well, if Woody Allen had a son he’d look like Meg from “Family Guy.

radjah shelduck on January 13, 2014 at 1:35 PM

You are correct…. and its still creepy.

Confirmed creepiness versus alleged molestation…

calbear on January 13, 2014 at 1:39 PM

I think any young woman hooking up with a man 30 years older than herself is creepy, but Mia did the same with Sinatra. I just read that Soon Yi’s adoptive father, Andre Previn who has 5 marriages and cheated on his wife with Farrow, said regarding Soon Yi: “She does not exist.” Really?? I can’t help to believe that Farrow didn’t have a hand in that, too.

Blake on January 13, 2014 at 2:01 PM

So when does he get his Presidential Medal of Freedom?

/only half joking

Ward Cleaver on January 13, 2014 at 2:02 PM

56 year old man has sex with 19YO daughter of his baby-momma.

No way to spin that as anything but morally bankrupt. “The heart knows what it wants.” Oh, ick.

AJsDaddie on January 13, 2014 at 2:07 PM

I can’t help to believe that Farrow didn’t have a hand in that, too.

Blake on January 13, 2014 at 2:01 PM

It’s wrong on every conceivable level.

AJsDaddie on January 13, 2014 at 2:09 PM

The number of typos there just requires a resubmit:

Dude. NOTHING Farrow did could possibly even begin to mitigate the almost Polanski level of debauchery here. I don’t know about where you grew up, but in my neighborhood there would be a pretty simple response to any man in his 50s bedding a teenager.

It’s wrong on every conceivable level.

AJsDaddie on January 13, 2014 at 2:10 PM

…incest…is best!

KOOLAID2 on January 13, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Whatever happened to Mia’s Sister Prudence?

Did she hook up with a Molester also??

ToddPA on January 13, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Nblockquote>Dude. NOTHING Farrow did could possible even begin to mitigate the almost Polanski level of debauchery here. I don’t know about where you gre up, but in my neighborhood there would be a pretty simple response to any many in his 50s bedding a teenager.

It’s wrong on every conceivable level.

AJsDaddie on January 13, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Nice try, jackass. But I said it was creepy. However, you don’t seem to have any problem with Sinatra doing it. And once again, Allen was not her step father, did not live with her mother, and their relationship had broken down pretty much a year earlier. Soon Yi was 19 and not retarded as Farrow has repeatedly and falsely claimed to the media. And unlike Mia and Sinatra, Allen and Soon Yi have been together for 22 years now and married for 17.

Blake on January 13, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Soon Yi is not the one they are claiming he molested.

CookeyD on January 13, 2014 at 3:19 PM

I could care less about his personal life. His movies suck.

John the Libertarian on January 13, 2014 at 3:20 PM

See also: Ed Driscoll’s deconstruction of “Manhattan”.

Socratease on January 13, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Well, beyond that creepy factor of paying tribute to a slimeball, Keaton’s tribute was vague, meandering, and seemingly pointless. It was at that very point I could barely keep up and instead turned it off and went to sleep.

I dare you to go find a transcript and see just how pointless her rambling nonsense was.

deadrody on January 13, 2014 at 4:00 PM

I use to side with Farrow but now I think she is full of it.

Allen and Farrow never married and never lived together.
They had not slept with each other for 11 months.
Allen and Soon Yi have been together now for over 20 years.

I think Farrow is the poster girl for parental alienation.

Blake on January 13, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Have you considered siding against both Allen and Farrow?

Alberta_Patriot on January 13, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Alberta_Patriot

Knott Buyinit on January 13, 2014 at 6:26 PM

I could care less about his personal life. His movies suck.

John the Libertarian on January 13, 2014 at 3:20 PM

+1…

OmahaConservative on January 13, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Blake on January 13, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Dylan Farrow was 7 when she says Allen molested her.

mbs on January 13, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Blake on January 13, 2014 at 3:14 PM

You have to admit that it’s odd he felt the need to troll his girlfriend’s children for future partners. There are just some places one shouldn’t look for partners, don’t you think?

However, the issue is more the underage child, now adult, who steadfastly claims being molested.

kim roy on January 13, 2014 at 8:40 PM

deadrody on January 13, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Is it a surprise that without a script they get lost? Kinda like Obama.

Her tribute, as you describe it, sounds like one of his movies. Was it pretentious as well?

It’s come to the point for me that it’s almost impossible to separate what a bunch of DBs they are in real life to buy whatever they sell onscreen. Saves me money and makes me miss the days where the studios were very carefully in charge. You never knew what Humphrey Bogart thought politically or what they were doing in their private time.

kim roy on January 13, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Any pope or Catholic angle on this story? Seems kind of out of place in the greenroom.

McLovin on January 13, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Never understood why anybody was impressed that annoying little sphincter.

S. D. on January 14, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Admit what? I have no knowledge of his “needs” and/or whether he “trolled” anyone. I do know that they have been married for a long time.

kim roy on January 13, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Yet, “a team of investigators from Yale-New Haven Hospital that was retained by the Connecticut State Police subsequently concluded Dylan had not been abused.” NYT 6/8/93

Blake on January 14, 2014 at 5:26 AM

Blake on January 14, 2014 at 5:26 AM

Other investigators disagreed. I’ve read the article in which Dylan was interviewed recently, she is pretty convincing, and there were corroborating witnesses, not to the actual abuse, but to the events she described right before and right after the abuse. I’m sure some do not believe her, I did. I’m not one to believe every abuse accusation, I absolutely believe children can be manipulated into false accusations of abuse, and even false memories. That did not appear to be the case here.

mbs on January 14, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Someone should melt-down Allen and Polanski and turn them into a sculpture.

Bishop on January 14, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Blake on January 13, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Oh, you’re one of those. Make up stuff and then argue with it. Try reading – I didn’t make any comment about Sinatra. I spoke only about Woody Allen.

I also didn’t say Allen was Soon Yi’s stepfather or lived with her mother or that Soon Yi was retarded. My disgust isn’t predicated on any of that. I find it repulsive that a 56 year-old man found it necessary to prey upon a teenager sexually – the same thing he did when he was in his 40s. The fact that he also bedded her mther is just incidentally and incrementally repulsive. It’s the initial act of taking advantage of a teenager that’s just incredibly sickening.
But hey, whatever. Morality is relative in the land of Liberalism.

AJsDaddie on January 14, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Is it a surprise that without a script they get lost? Kinda like Obama.

kim roy on January 13, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Oh, it was. Of course, being a pretentious, narcissistic woman, she immediatley concluded that the best thing about Woody Allen movies was the female characters. “Am I right?” she kept saying. Like, whatever. I’m not really a fan, but I can at least see what other people like about Woody Allen movies and she really never touched on any of it for even a second. It was amazing to see someone make a “tribute” seem to be all about her being in the spotlight. It was bizarre.

They do one of those kind of things at every Academy Award show and I’ve never seen anything quite like that one before. The best (or worst) of Hollywood’s self indulgence on display.

deadrody on January 14, 2014 at 12:52 PM

A little OT – but this is really worth seeing.
Woody Allen and Billy Graham.
Mutual respect, completely different views.
Imagine…

verbaluce on January 14, 2014 at 1:35 PM

kim roy on January 13, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Blake on January 14, 2014 at 5:26 AM

C’mon. You have no lines in the sand of who it is just plain tacky to look to for date? I’d think a long standing GF’s daughter would be someone people should cross off the “future date” list.

If that’s what you wish to make the devil’s advocate argument for, who I am to get in the way? Have fun.

As for the molestation, there’s been conflicting reports out there about how “valid” (for lack of a better word at this moment) the accusations were. Unfortunately, because it was never tested in court, we’ll never know for sure and both parties suffer for it. All I know is there was an untested serious accusation that is still being made to this date.

I don’t base my opinion on the accusations because they are not proven. However, I base my opinion on my moral code and what I deem to be someone’s character and the fact that he ended up with that particular very young woman is enough for me to deem him undesirable of someone I’d spend my time/money on.

It’s something that we don’t do nearly enough – give our time/money to those that deserve it and away from the weirdos, liberals and people who would use our money to hurt us.

kim roy on January 14, 2014 at 9:16 PM

deadrody on January 14, 2014 at 12:52 PM

These are strange people. I’ve stopped watching awards shows because they’re so full of sh!t. ;)

kim roy on January 14, 2014 at 9:17 PM

kim roy on January 14, 2014 at 9:17 PM

I want to check out from the part of the culture that’s celebrity-obsessed. Which is most of TV, the movies, politics, the MSM, the internet … what’s left?

Paul-Cincy on January 14, 2014 at 9:24 PM