Green Room

Reuters: Pope tosses conservatives a bone by opposing abortion, or something; Update: AFP misses the point too

posted at 9:23 am on January 13, 2014 by

As Erick Erickson remarked:

Pretty much every word in this Reuters piece is nonsense, including the words “the” and “and”:

Pope Francis, whom conservatives in the Roman Catholic Church have accused of not speaking out forcefully enough against abortion, on Monday called the practice “horrific”.

The pope made his toughest remarks to date on abortion in his yearly address to diplomats accredited to the Vatican, a speech known as his “State of the World” address.

“It is horrific even to think that there are children, victims of abortion, who will never see the light of day,” he said in a section of the speech about the rights of children around the world.

Since his election in March, the pope, while showing no signs of changing the Church’s position against abortion, has not spoken out against it as sternly or as repeatedly as his predecessors Pope Benedict XVI and the late John Paul II.

Both of those popes often delivered sermons against abortion, which the Church considers murder.

Pope Francis has been speaking out forcefully against abortion during the entirety of his pontificate. It’s just that the media isn’t terribly interested in covering it. It doesn’t fit their narrative of the “progressive Pope,” so it usually gets ignored until it comes to suggesting that a Pope teaches Catholic doctrine as some sort of bone-tossing exercise.

Pathetic.

Update: A hilarious, if somewhat NSFW, response from Jon Henke:

Update: AFP does slightly better in avoiding Reuters’ foolishness by treating this as a political “bone,” but that’s not to say AFP doesn’t pull a bonehead move, too:

Pope Francis on Monday issued his strongest condemnation yet of abortion, calling it a symptom of a “throwaway culture” that placed too little value on human life. …

“Unfortunately, what is thrown away is not only food and dispensable objects, but often human beings themselves, who are discarded as ‘unnecessary’. For example, it is frightful even to think there are children, victims of abortion, who will never see the light of day.”

Pope Francis has spoken out on abortion far less than his predecessor Benedict XVI, and drew criticism from some conservative Catholics when he used his first interview as pope to call for “mercy” toward homosexuals, divorced people and women who have abortions.

Perhaps AFP should have paid more attention to Francis, or at least read his Evangelii Gaudium from just a little over a month ago. In paragraph 53, Francis talks about the “throw away culture” that includes abortion. He did the same in September of last year when speaking to a group of doctors.

I’m glad that the press is covering these teachings of Pope Francis, but to pretend this is somehow inconsistent is just nonsense.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

A man of God is opposed to killing babies? Didn’t see that coming.

CurtZHP on January 13, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Amazing how the article frames it as the “Church’s position against abortion.” The media treats the Church’s prohibition against abortion as simply a suggestion, to be followed as seen fit. They fail to understand that the sanctity of human life is a key tenant of Catholic faith.

Publius24 on January 13, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Really, they don’t get him or the Church.

thebrokenrattle on January 13, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Really, they don’t get him or the Church.

thebrokenrattle on January 13, 2014 at 9:52 AM

I’m getting really tired of people who tell us they have no use for religion or Christianity trying to explain how faith and Christianity should be

NoFanofLibs on January 13, 2014 at 11:02 AM

The Pope’s Catholic after all? Who knew?

theCork on January 13, 2014 at 11:30 AM

I don’t know about you Ed, but I attended a Jesuit university (University of Detroit). When I heard the new Pope was a Jesuit, it scared the heck out of me.

I have made a conscious effort to keep my kids away from the Jesuits. The closest contact they had is that my son played soccer and lacrosse against a Jesuit high school.

bw222 on January 13, 2014 at 12:22 PM

democrats and the false idol of abortion. What would you expect from the propaganda arm of the baby killers…

crosshugger on January 13, 2014 at 1:07 PM

I don’t know about you Ed, but I attended a Jesuit university (University of Detroit). When I heard the new Pope was a Jesuit, it scared the heck out of me……

bw222 on January 13, 2014 at 12:22 PM

…I like you anyway!…my bride went there too!

KOOLAID2 on January 13, 2014 at 2:25 PM

I had the exact opposite reaction. I also went to a Jesuit university. love those guys.

Shambhala on January 13, 2014 at 3:07 PM

I too went to a Jesuit university.Nothing but leftist filth!

redware on January 13, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Shocking that anti-religious leftists have no understanding of Christianity.

besser tot als rot on January 13, 2014 at 4:19 PM

I just clicked the Yahoo link. Looks like they changed the headline. 🙂 The link still has the original verbiage, though.

RegularJoe on January 13, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Wow another story about the Pope and Catholics. Great. How interesting.

McLovin on January 13, 2014 at 8:32 PM

I think that because Francis celebrated the ugly traddie Mass on Sunday the press has decided that he is still Catholic. I agree with him on abortion and understand it was one line in the speech. But we shouldn’t actually celebrate the traddie Mass like Benedict did if he wanted people to get his entire message. Since he celebrated the ugly traddie Mass to the delight of all the reactionaries like “Father” Z and his ugly followers, he is of no use to me. Totally over him.

Illinidiva on January 13, 2014 at 9:50 PM

You are a child.

philoquin on January 14, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Don’t feel so bad. They don’t talk about the Buddhist position on abortion either. I’m still waiting on the blockbuster expose showing the Dalai Lama says that gay sex is wrong. Not holding my breath.

Kafir on January 14, 2014 at 9:28 AM

…I have made a conscious effort to keep my kids away from the Jesuits…

bw222 on January 13, 2014 at 12:22 PM

bw22 by no means the first.

Francis’ sayings are irrelevant if not also echoed from the parish pulpits… And our churches aren’t exactly reverberating with defense of life, marriage and liberty.

Most American Catholics can give no case for life and liberty because our leadership is more interested in promoting statism. What a shame.

shinty on January 14, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Another example of the appalling provincialism of our New York media.

As if the Pope in Rome would acknowledge, or even understand, the dynamics and terminology of American politics when addressing abortion. “Conservatives” indeed.

Journalists in New York desperately need some awareness training and a style guide when talking about, well, anything to do with Catholicism. The state of the Catholic Church on planet Earth is not informed at all by declining attendance at St. Anne’s on 23rd Street and all the people you personally know who don’t go to church.

HitNRun on January 14, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM
Top Pick

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Top Pick

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.

Slow your roll, boss

“I’m bothered by the lack of emerging evidence…”

FIrst look at the Senate health bill

John Sexton Jun 21, 2017 9:21 PM