Green Room

Poll: Did Old Spice cross the line in Mom’s Song ad?

posted at 2:15 pm on January 6, 2014 by

There are actually two questions that got raised on Twitter yesterday when Old Spice debuted its latest ad, called either “Mom’s Song” or “Smellcome to Manhood,” although the latter might be more a campaign theme. First, just how creepy is it to have moms depicted as stalking their young-adult sons and their makeout sessions? And second, why do all the moms in this look overweight and/or unpleasant? Here’s the ad:

After an explosion of criticism, Dan Riehl reminded everyone that Old Spice is looking to find consumers under 70 years of age now. Of course they’re going to compete in the Axe market:

What do you think? Take the poll:

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

It was weird. I don’t know about creepy. Heck, there was a time when moms did spy on their kids. That was considered part of the job. But it *was* weird.

GWB on January 6, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Eh, some people smell and at least need deodorant

Esthier on January 6, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Uh, let’s fix that a bit:

Peeeewwwww! Some people STINK and at least need deodorant

And it isn’t their diet, but their genes.

GWB on January 6, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Smellcome to manhood?

Seriously??? I get that it’s supposed to be a play on “welcome” but do you think the average 18 yo boy, or girl, is going to miss the allusion? The boys will chuckle and the girls will gag. Nice going, Old Spice. Get the girls gagging at your ad. Marketing hint–if you’re going for a younger demographic maybe take the word “old” out of the product name. Maybe it’s just me.

smellthecoffee on January 6, 2014 at 5:06 PM

smellthecoffee on January 6, 2014 at 5:06 PM

I am chuckling like a bowl full of THC potpourri and a canary in a tree. This is why I love Hot Gas.

RushBaby on January 6, 2014 at 6:05 PM

I’m old school, but I’d rather smell strong BO in an elevator than a cloud of Axe body spray. That stuff paralyzes my diaphragm, just like a punch to the solar plexus.

Marcola on January 6, 2014 at 6:07 PM

It was weird.

I noticed that the moms all seemed to be unmarried.

Adult males need not apply.

BuckeyeSam on January 6, 2014 at 6:16 PM

I think they’re funny–but I’m a mom whose sons are the target demographic. So I had DS#2 watch online. He thought the ads were hysterical.

Will he buy Old Spice bodyspray? Probably not–he’s not the body spray type. And he uses whatever deodorant happens to be in the bathroom.

March Hare on January 6, 2014 at 6:49 PM

…JugEars ….wears Old Spice ?

KOOLAID2 on January 6, 2014 at 8:23 PM

…where is noforeskin commenting?

KOOLAID2 on January 6, 2014 at 8:25 PM

It’s about family, respect for one’s parents, and what it really means to be a man.

In good times, you can make fun and only be a little gross. Now … well, as CSLewis wrote, it is cowardly ages that people fear cruelty and in cruel ages that people fear cowardice.

njcommuter on January 7, 2014 at 7:28 AM

I think it’s kinda creepy, but then I think Love You Forever is creepy in the same way.

Quisp on January 7, 2014 at 9:05 AM

I couldn’t vote, because “stupid” wasn’t one of the choices.

Tom Servo on January 7, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Comment pages: 1 2

Top Pick

Will they stay or will they go?

Top Pick

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus