Green Room

Poll: Did Old Spice cross the line in Mom’s Song ad?

posted at 2:15 pm on January 6, 2014 by

There are actually two questions that got raised on Twitter yesterday when Old Spice debuted its latest ad, called either “Mom’s Song” or “Smellcome to Manhood,” although the latter might be more a campaign theme. First, just how creepy is it to have moms depicted as stalking their young-adult sons and their makeout sessions? And second, why do all the moms in this look overweight and/or unpleasant? Here’s the ad:

After an explosion of criticism, Dan Riehl reminded everyone that Old Spice is looking to find consumers under 70 years of age now. Of course they’re going to compete in the Axe market:

What do you think? Take the poll:

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

It was weird. I don’t know about creepy. Heck, there was a time when moms did spy on their kids. That was considered part of the job. But it *was* weird.

GWB on January 6, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Eh, some people smell and at least need deodorant

Esthier on January 6, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Uh, let’s fix that a bit:

Peeeewwwww! Some people STINK and at least need deodorant

And it isn’t their diet, but their genes.

GWB on January 6, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Smellcome to manhood?

Seriously??? I get that it’s supposed to be a play on “welcome” but do you think the average 18 yo boy, or girl, is going to miss the allusion? The boys will chuckle and the girls will gag. Nice going, Old Spice. Get the girls gagging at your ad. Marketing hint–if you’re going for a younger demographic maybe take the word “old” out of the product name. Maybe it’s just me.

smellthecoffee on January 6, 2014 at 5:06 PM

smellthecoffee on January 6, 2014 at 5:06 PM

I am chuckling like a bowl full of THC potpourri and a canary in a tree. This is why I love Hot Gas.

RushBaby on January 6, 2014 at 6:05 PM

I’m old school, but I’d rather smell strong BO in an elevator than a cloud of Axe body spray. That stuff paralyzes my diaphragm, just like a punch to the solar plexus.

Marcola on January 6, 2014 at 6:07 PM

It was weird.

I noticed that the moms all seemed to be unmarried.

Adult males need not apply.

BuckeyeSam on January 6, 2014 at 6:16 PM

I think they’re funny–but I’m a mom whose sons are the target demographic. So I had DS#2 watch online. He thought the ads were hysterical.

Will he buy Old Spice bodyspray? Probably not–he’s not the body spray type. And he uses whatever deodorant happens to be in the bathroom.

March Hare on January 6, 2014 at 6:49 PM

…JugEars ….wears Old Spice ?

KOOLAID2 on January 6, 2014 at 8:23 PM

…where is noforeskin commenting?

KOOLAID2 on January 6, 2014 at 8:25 PM

It’s about family, respect for one’s parents, and what it really means to be a man.

In good times, you can make fun and only be a little gross. Now … well, as CSLewis wrote, it is cowardly ages that people fear cruelty and in cruel ages that people fear cowardice.

njcommuter on January 7, 2014 at 7:28 AM

I think it’s kinda creepy, but then I think Love You Forever is creepy in the same way.

Quisp on January 7, 2014 at 9:05 AM

I couldn’t vote, because “stupid” wasn’t one of the choices.

Tom Servo on January 7, 2014 at 11:06 AM