Green Room

Revealed: What your booze preferences say about your politics

posted at 3:36 pm on January 3, 2014 by

Frivolous “data,” but irresistible content for a slow news week — especially while arguing about vices and prohibitions is all the rage. Via the Washington Post:

In a nutshell, Democrats like clear liquors (gin, vodka), while Republicans tend to go for the brown stuff (bourbon, whiskey, etc).  Rum is bipartisan.  Beer results — from a separate, um, analysis — are here.  Finally, wine consumption is a strong indicator of voter participation rates:

Dube found that 14 of the top 15 brands that indicate someone is most likely to vote are wines…Champagne, as it turns out, is mostly a Democratic drink.

Of course it is.  Smug liberals regularly pop the cork to congratulate one another on their moral and intellectual superiority, spotless intentions, ‘fairness’ fetishism, tolerance, and empathy.  Results and empiricism are such buzz-kills.  Disclosure: As a filthy RINO, my primary alcohol preference is imbibing in the warm cocoon of elite Beltway cocktail parties.  When you’re busy sucking up to snobby liberals, the particular brand of poison is largely irrelevant, amirite?

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

That you have to drink through this national nightmare means you are conservative.

John the Libertarian on January 4, 2014 at 4:11 PM

True that.. John the Libertarian.
I think I’m going to need a new liver by the time BO leaves. Do you think they’ll cover that in OCare??

mmcnamer1 on January 4, 2014 at 5:37 PM

I’ll sit in the couch next to the non-drinkers. I only drink once or twice a year, when a girlfriend comes to town (or we go to see them). Then I’ll have some kind of wine, or, if it’s available, a good Scotch.

Alcoholism runs in my family, and though I don’t seem to be vulnerable, it seems smart not to push it.

Alana on January 4, 2014 at 9:29 PM

I just had a shot of Woodford Reserve a few minutes ago (5:25PM Jerusalem time) before I opened up HA and saw this article.

Map me! 🙂

Shy Guy on January 5, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Another example of confusing correlation with causation or something assumed to be statistically meaningful or relevant.

Booze preferences, or the lack of them, say nothing about your politics.

farsighted on January 5, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Whiskey and Wine (Pinot Noir) for me, but not very much of either. I made the switch from beer to wine recently, but I love a good Whiskey on the rocks.

Daemonocracy on January 5, 2014 at 12:52 PM

I think the beer link is broken. None of that stuff listed is actually beer. It’s BINO.

Dan_Yul on January 5, 2014 at 2:17 PM

John the Libertarian on January 4, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Indeed.

SueZeeQ on January 5, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Disclosure: As a filthy RINO, my primary alcohol preference is imbibing in the warm cocoon of elite Beltway cocktail parties. When you’re busy sucking up to snobby liberals, the particular brand of poison is largely irrelevant, amirite?

Guy Benson on January 3, 2014 by at 3:36 PM

I’m gonna have to re-evaluate my respect for you, Guy, after reading that.

listens2glenn on January 5, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Once I almost voted for a Democrat, that’s when I realized I’d better give up drinking.

Zaire67 on January 6, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Top Pick

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

Top Pick

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.