Green Room

Minnesota winter temps hit 20-year low

posted at 11:10 am on January 3, 2014 by

When you see record cold temps in Minnesota, man, it’s really cold. The eastern part of the country is spending its weekend digging out from record snowfalls, but here in the Twin Cities, we wish it will be warm enough to snow. No, seriously:

Shaffer says there is a chance some parts of the state could be forced to bring back old memories of ’96 – memories of frozen eyelashes, cars being towed and broken pipes.

“People were going out you know at 2, 3, 4, 5 in the morning to start their car to make sure it would start in the morning so they could get to work,” Shaffer said.

There was also a statewide cancellation of schools set by then Gov. Arne Carlson.

Monday, I’ll be at home. All day. And all night, too.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Cold here in Michigan as well. Not Minnesota cold, but cold. We’re hitting the zero degree mark, and less.

NotCoach on January 3, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Wouldn’t you love to wrap your arms around a freshly brewed pot of coffee to keep warm, Ed? Too late, you’ve gone to the dark side.

Fallon on January 3, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Twas -11 last night, it’s -8 now, and we’re headed for -20 or so tonight here in NW VT.

CaptainNed on January 3, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Is Algore Goracle doing a grand tour of the Midwest?

Steve Eggleston on January 3, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Yeah, I remember the winter of ’96. The TV weathermen in International Falls were doing the “throw boiling water into the air and watch it freeze” trick.

Now get off my frozen lawn!

pookysgirl on January 3, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Paging Dr Heidi Cullen

Paging Dr Heidi Cullen
Paging Dr Heidi Cullen
Paging Dr Heidi Cullen

That’s funny.. Dr Heidi Cullen isn’t answering her page :(

BigSven on January 3, 2014 at 12:04 PM

So I guess the cold is only news when it reaches Minneapolis? It’s been that cold or colder up here in “outstate” Minnesota for a week. We’ve even set a new record here and there. This AM is the first time we’ve been above 0F at our house since last Saturday.

There’s a lot more to MN than the Twin Cities, Ed. You should come up to the northern part of the state some time.

AScott on January 3, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Uh oh.

Can we say “hee hee snort” yet?

BobMbx on January 3, 2014 at 12:10 PM

A little more:

Why was the ship there in the first place?

The Russian-owned research ship left New Zealand on November 28 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of an Antarctic journey led by Australian explorer Douglas Mawson.

Sounds like a booze cruise, don’t it? But we already know who the “passengers” are. And that didn’t make it into the story at all.

BobMbx on January 3, 2014 at 12:14 PM

This is just weather, you snarky ignorant climate change deniers… the real heat wave is north of the Arctic Circle! Take a vacaycay up there why don’t you, so the Eskimos can get some tourist dollars! /reddit

ExpressoBold on January 3, 2014 at 12:21 PM

You know, it’s just all Global Warming. Like when you heat up a frying pan on a stove and it sometimes it cools down too. Oh, wait.

Oil Can on January 3, 2014 at 12:32 PM

There’s a lot more to MN than the Twin Cities, …. You should come up to the northern part of the state some time.

AScott on January 3, 2014 at 12:07 PM

You’re just jokin’ right ?

BigSven on January 3, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Brrrrr..stay warm

mr cmsinaz is from st cloud…he’s certainly not missing this…

cmsinaz on January 3, 2014 at 12:38 PM

I think I’d be more concerned if evidence indicated that climate has stopped changing.

BobMbx on January 3, 2014 at 12:48 PM

I see Gov. Dayton ordered all public schools closed on Monday. First common-sense decision of being governor. :P

You’re just jokin’ right ?

BigSven on January 3, 2014 at 12:34 PM

No, it really does get very cold regularly up north. And I’m sure the Canadians are just rolling their eyes at us southerners down here in MN.

Othniel on January 3, 2014 at 12:54 PM

You’re just jokin’ right ?

BigSven on January 3, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Yes. There’s nothing north of the 45th parallel but critters, woods, and lakes. It’s quite inhospitable to humans.

AScott on January 3, 2014 at 1:03 PM

It’s damn cold – that’s all you can say.

gophergirl on January 3, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Darn that ole anthropomorphic global warming anyway.

No Truce With Kings on January 3, 2014 at 2:12 PM

All the AGW alarmists are hibernating, awaiting the first unusually hot day of spring – somewhere, anywhere. Don’t worry… they’ll be back. They’re like the people who keep playing the lottery (or keep filing lawsuits) hoping for that one great, golden payoff.

Marcola on January 3, 2014 at 2:13 PM

We were in Minneapolis for Christmas (just left on the 31st to drive back to Texas) and my husband did that for the kids. Despite having lived in Minny from ’87-’98 I had never seen it before.

Missy on January 3, 2014 at 2:20 PM

But Ed…at least your Vikings don’t have to play anymore games in this global warming environment. Green Bay kick-off temp currently projected at -8F (could be colder if Monday’s high of -15F moves in sooner).

teejk on January 3, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Forgot to mention…the solution to global warming around here is the “Tom and Jerry” (eggnog concoction with rum and brandy). For those out in the cold, “snow shoe”…brandy and peppermint schnapps). For years Wisconsin was the #1 state in brandy consumption. Now you know why.

teejk on January 3, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Are there currently any Australian climate-change researchers on expedition in Minnesota?

Fallon on January 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM

-6F Monday nite in Cincinnati.

Paul-Cincy on January 3, 2014 at 3:36 PM

-6F Monday nite in Cincinnati.

Paul-Cincy on January 3, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Sissies! Monday forecast here is a HIGH of -15F. Forecasting wind also so wind-chills -60F. We used to get a few days of that in mid January but the entire month of December here was brutal (and LP prices have soared 30% so I ain’t looking forward to the next fill that will be coming sooner than normal).

teejk on January 3, 2014 at 4:17 PM

You all are wrong. It’s “Climate Change” in the winter; it’s “Global Warming” only in the summer.

I love that phrase, “Climate Change.” The libs are saying that the climate remained at a steady 72° world-wide until mankind came and screwed it up.

RoadRunner on January 3, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Oh, and it’s 60° here in Albuquerque right now.

RoadRunner on January 3, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Global warming, faster please!

Minnfidel on January 3, 2014 at 5:02 PM

The only time worth visiting northern Minnesota is in the winter. A summer visit requires a shotgun to repel mosquitos.

chicken thief on January 3, 2014 at 5:04 PM

AScott on January 3, 2014 at 1:03 PM

If We Had Some Global Warming

U-tube of Minnesotans that can’t take the cold.
Whining and sniveling for some “global warming”
Relatives of yours?

:D

BigSven on January 3, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Dang climate. Keeps changin’.

Galtian on January 3, 2014 at 5:29 PM

NotCoach on January 3, 2014 at 11:24 AM

…that’s ….your opinion!

KOOLAID2 on January 3, 2014 at 6:00 PM

If We Had Some Global Warming

U-tube of Minnesotans that can’t take the cold.
Whining and sniveling for some “global warming”
Relatives of yours?

:D

BigSven on January 3, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Never saw that before. Got a chuckle out of me, I’ll admit. Not related, but they may be my neighbors…

I’m not crying about the weather (I’ve been out ice fishing several times with my son over this cold winter break and the fish have been biting like crazy). I just always find it funny how nothing happens in MN unless it happens in the Cities. It makes a lot of people up here pretty mad. It doesn’t really bother me (I’m not from here, so I can never be a REAL Minnesotan), but I always hear A LOT about it.

The Duluthians are the funniest about it; inferiority complex of gargantuan proportions.

AScott on January 3, 2014 at 6:28 PM

I remember one spell un the 70s were it was so cold that a neighbor had to wedge newspaper into his car door and use a blowtorch to light the paper do he could open the car door.

chicken thief on January 3, 2014 at 5:04 PM

You shoot our state bird and there will be all holy heck to pay!

whatcat on January 3, 2014 at 6:49 PM

-8 f high temp thursday and -5 f high temp today Friday here in Maine.
nights were -12 to -15 with windchills -25 to -30.
unpleasant, but not a huge deal.

dmacleo on January 3, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Hot Da… er, Cold Damn! I’m driving my rig up to Minneapolis on Tuesday. Guess I’ll be idling all day. That’s going to piss off dispatch…

Kraken on January 3, 2014 at 9:49 PM

hell just looked at thermometer(s), -16 now at 10pm. yay.

dmacleo on January 3, 2014 at 9:55 PM

And to think that new liberal mayor of New York said 14 degrees is too cold to go to school.

Pikers. New Yorkers are pikers. Crying about six inches of snow and 14 degrees. Puh-leeze.

Grace_is_sufficient on January 4, 2014 at 4:35 AM

Othniel on January 3, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Um, yeah, because this.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on January 4, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Um, yeah, because this.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on January 4, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Pfft, Celsius :P

-31 is what…about -24 Fahrenheit?

By the way, how do you get the link setting to work properly? When I attempt it, and put in a description (such as your “Um, yeah, because this.” the link becomes unclickable. I know I’m doing something wrong, but I do not know what.

Othniel on January 4, 2014 at 1:24 PM

We’re all burning up! Mother Gaia is punishing us with this heat wave!

Sorry, I was channeling Al Gore for a minute.

Physics Geek on January 4, 2014 at 2:15 PM

I used to live in Minnesota. I couldn’t take the LONG COLD winters.
Minnesota is a great place to raise a family, but the weather sucks.
I prefer 4 months of 100+ (in sunny AZ, in my pool.
Besides the beautiful sunny 76 degree day today, I don’t have to deal with the liberal freaks that you find in Minneapolis.

mmcnamer1 on January 4, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Othniel on January 4, 2014 at 1:24 PM

If you described the steps you took it would be easier to see where you dun goofed.
It should be;
1. Copy the address you want to add as a link.
2. Click link button above.
3. Paste in your copied link into the popup box, making sure it starts with only one “http://” – don’t add a 2nd “http://” when you paste in the address. Click “OK”.
4.After the link shows up in your comment, type in the name/description you want at the end, after the “>.
5. Click the “link” button again – this finishes it by adding the “a” in brackets at the end.
6. Click preview and see if your link works.

whatcat on January 4, 2014 at 5:30 PM

mmcnamer1 on January 4, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Dealing with MS-13 gangbangers and home invasions is so much more pleasant.

whatcat on January 4, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Since I’ve seen climate change listed in this thread a few times, I want to copy something I posted on the previous thread. Try it for Shyts and giggles.

OK. One last tidbit for anyone still interested in theis climate scam stuff.

Try this for a few cities. Go to weather.com. Type in your zip code. Click in the monthly tab and look carefully, REALLY carefully, at the graphic of average high, average low, low to date, and high to date. It’s in the lower left hand corner. If you type Bowling green KY real soon you will see 12 Faren at the same thermometer level as 26 Farenheit. They ONLY do this with the lows, and the error is ALWAYS in the same direction.

Why would they feel the need to do this?

Heidi Cullen.

WryTrvllr on January 6, 2014 at 4:26 AM

WryTrvllr on January 6, 2014 at 5:34 AM

This Global Warming has to STOP! For gosh sakes, it was a Real Feel of 8 degrees in New Braunfels, TX this morning. NEW BRAUNFELS, TX! If I wanted it this cold I would have moved to Minnesota!

NOMOBO on January 6, 2014 at 1:14 PM