Green Room

I’m Ed, and I’m now a Keurig addict

posted at 9:18 am on January 3, 2014 by

Oh, I resisted for a very long time. I can’t claim to be a coffee traditionalist, really, thanks to my preference for flavored coffee. My father likes to scoff at me for that whenever he visits out here, but I like the real thing as well.  I drink it straight, no cream or sweetener whether flavored or not, and I brew it in large pots, totally full, every single time. And most days I drink all of it, too.

All of that changed when my sister bought us a Keurig system for Christmas this week while visiting out here. Specifically, she bought the Keurig K65 Special Edition Gourmet Single-Cup Home-Brewing System (which in my old aerospace days would have the acronym KSEGSCHBS), along with the Keurig My K-Cup Reusable Coffee Filter. Within hours, I had banished my old coffeemaker to storage — in part because I needed the space, but also because it had already become obsolete.

This is one device that really satisfies all needs. I can make various cups of coffee (or tea, or cocoa although I can’t have the sugar) during the day without being stuck with the one-and-only decision of the day when making the first pot. It’s geeky enough to be fun to use, at least for now. And when I begin to fret about the higher unit costs of the K-cups, the My Cup filter (which sounds a little like an athletic supporter, really) allows me to have enough old-school intervention to live with it.

So far, my wife is still a bit of a skeptic, but she drinks tea, and likes the simplicity of her electric teapot … for now. I’ve caught her digging the loose-leaf varieties that the Keurig system makes easier, so we may soon have another addict in the house. I was a little surprised to see the number of addicts that self-identify on Twitter, too, in response to this tweet:

This was rather disturbing, though ….

I’m using this post to form a support group. Who else wants to testify about their Keurig addiction? And more to the point, what are your recommendations for coffee, tea, and sugar-free cocoa options? I’m, er, asking for a friend, or something.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

i didn’t read all the comments, but i read most of them, and i am surprised that i am the only one who sees this as a very thinly veiled advertisement by ed, who was surely nicely compensated for lying to his audience. now, it is possible i am wrong, but the dude should not even allow for the inference to be possible. i think it is shameful.

truecon on January 3, 2014 at 7:49 PM

The joy of living in America is that we have at least a bit of disposable income and the world targets us with gee-gaws to buy and savor.

Even if true — if this is a “thinly veiled” advertisement for a product — it’s a product that I myself received as a Christmas gift, and can see how it would appeal to others, because I’ve played with it a bit myself.

I doubt Ed’s admission, that he is secretly addicted to a perversion which has so far only afflicted those on our two left coasts, will drive those here who do not already have one of these machines to purchase one. Such an assumption shows that you think of us as sycophants who must march in time to the leader.

I think marching in time is a liberal thing — it takes a community to do anything in their land.

unclesmrgol on January 6, 2014 at 1:55 AM

My husband and I got a Keurig as a wedding present, and for us, it really depends on what the situation is as to whether we use it regularly or not. He’s a coffee junkie, and I loathe coffee. Our Keurig got a *lot* of use when he was using it for a quick cup of coffee on the way to work, but because of the water quality at his current job (in a rural location – I suspect excess iron), he can’t drink the coffee at work without getting sick, and so we’ve been brewing entire pots all the time, and the Keurig hasn’t been used in ages.

I’m a tea drinker, and our Keurig came with several samples of their tea offerings, and nothing I tried seemed very good, so I never use it for myself. Besides, it’s much cheaper using the electric water kettle. :)

I do have to say that there was one time when we had to contact Keurig customer service about an issue (a lost part that was hard to replace) and they were fantastic.

Katja on January 6, 2014 at 3:29 AM

Melissa Harris-Perry should buy a Keurig coffee maker for the Romneys as a peace offering. /s

BigAlSouth on January 6, 2014 at 6:01 AM

My son got us one. We threw out our old coffee maker. I feel rich now. Whatever drink I want.. it’s all there at the push of a button. Coffee, flavored coffee, tea, hot chocolate, hot apple cider and more.. I’m now a rich, elitist snob.

JellyToast on January 6, 2014 at 6:52 AM