Green Room

Redskins to Reid: Pound sand

posted at 12:54 pm on December 19, 2013 by

Yesterday, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid told The Hill that the Washington Redskins should change their name:

In an interview with The Hill, Reid said, “I think [Washington Redskins owner Dan] Snyder is so shortsighted on this.”

He added, “We live in a society where you can’t denigrate a race of people. And that’s what that is. I mean, you can’t have the Washington Blackskins. I think it’s so shortsighted.”

Earlier this year, Snyder said he would never change the name. Asked for comment, a spokesman for the Redskins referred to the letter Snyder wrote to the team’s fans earlier this year on the name controversy

The three most powerful Democrats in Washington — President Obama, Reid and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (Calif.) — have now urged the Redskins to rethink their mascot.

Today, the NFL team told Reid to mind his own business:

In a statement sent to The Hill, the Redskins stated, “The Redskins respect Senator Reid, and he is, of course, entitled to his opinion. However, we strongly disagree based on what we are hearing from Native Americans and based on the generations of pride and heritage that our name represents.” …

“As we heard from Andy Block, who wrote to say he lived and worked on the Shoshone-Paiute reservation in Owyhee, Nev., ‘The Redskins are by far the favorite franchise of any sport. The offices of both hospital administrators at the Indian Health Service hospital were covered in Redskins posters, calendars and gear. … The first day of work several laborers showed up wearing Redskins shirts and/or hats. They loved the team as much as I did … Hail to the Redskins!’ ”

The team added, “We agree with Andy Block and we are proud of the tradition, passion and heritage for which the Redskins name stands.”

I still think the Barrycaders would make an excellent alternate name, but otherwise I’m on Team Who-Cares. If people stop showing up to games over the issue, then Snyder might change the name. So far, I think Snyder has bigger issues in that regard, like Mike Shanahan, a six-game losing streak, and a mediocre defense.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

But culturally sensitive liberals need to tell the tribes how to think about themselves.

gwelf on December 19, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Harry Reid should say it to Trent Williams’s face, a la Richard Sherman.

Christien on December 19, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Harry Reid became a multimillionaire as a “servant” of the people.

birdwatcher on December 19, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Excuse me for being the cynic here, but..
Not so proud of this season.

nobar on December 19, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Harry Reid became a multimillionaire as a “servant” of the people.

birdwatcher on December 19, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Lets take a moment to thank him for his service.
Obviously he’s a genius real estate investor but chose to instead devote most of his time to public service.

gwelf on December 19, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I can’t help but look at this in relation to another supposedly insulting name.
If the N word is so horribly bad, why do so many black rappers and inner city blacks use it constantly themselves? Have many blacks taken “ownership” of that word to somehow tell everyone – “in your face, we’ll take the word and use it ourselves” – so it no longer has power over them?
If many Indians are Redskins fans, then they clearly either are not insulted by the word at all, or they are in some way taking ownership of it.
How many whites now happily claim to be rednecks, hillbillies, crackas, rebels, white trash, etc….
Per Jeff Foxworthy’s definition of redneck – “a glorious absence of sophistication” – I’d be perfectly happy to be considered a redneck.

Or, maybe everything I just wrote is total bullshiite, I don’t know, just a thought….

dentarthurdent on December 19, 2013 at 1:24 PM

maybe they can replace shanahan with a coach with indian heritage.

fauxahontas anyone.

Fred

jrsrigmvr on December 19, 2013 at 1:25 PM

maybe they can replace shanahan with a coach with indian heritage.

fauxahontas anyone.

Fred

jrsrigmvr on December 19, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I’m glad you brought up old Liawatha.

She lies about being Cherokee and reaps the “diversity” and affirmative action benefits for doing so and the left could care less.

Shows you how much they really care about this.

gwelf on December 19, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I mean, you can’t have the Washington Blackskins.

More projection from a liberal. It is all they do.

He [Reid] was wowed by Obama’s oratorical gifts and believed that the country was ready to embrace a black presidential candidate, especially one such as Obama — a ‘light-skinned’ African American ‘with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one,’ ”

cep on December 19, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Redskins to Snyder: Pound sand

Cowboys to Jones: Pound sand

Should, but never will be.

22044 on December 19, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I’m still in favor of eliminating the stigma from their name by changing it to the Maryland Redskins.

bugsy on December 19, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Well said, bugsy!

Kevin K. on December 19, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Still looking for the articles proclaiming shock and disappointment with Kansas City (NFL) and Florida State (NCAA.)

Crickets…

Galtian on December 19, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I like the name Redskins. It means fierce warriors to me and most sane people.

Blake on December 19, 2013 at 1:57 PM

gwelf on December 19, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Yep. The libs’ “we know what’s best for you people” attitude is a lot more “denigrating” than the Redskins name.

KS Rex on December 19, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Maryland Redskins.

bugsy on December 19, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Landover Redskins works better. Think about it.

Christien on December 19, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Dear Injuns Indians Native Americans,

Since you are too stupid to realize when a white man like Daniel Snyder is insulting you by not changing the name of his football team, it is our job to be offended on your behalf.

Sincerely,

Your betters friends comrades in arms on the American Left.

JimLennon on December 19, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Dear Injuns Indians Native Americans Members of the Tribal Nations,

Sincerely,

Your betters friends comrades in arms on the American Left.

JimLennon on December 19, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Bigot!

/ Just in case.

D-fusit on December 19, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I have a close friend who is American Indian (not like Elizabeth Warren, but an actual American Indian) I asked her the other day if she or her tribe was offended by the name. She laughed out loud. That wasn’t just a “no”, but a “Hell no”.

JusDreamin on December 19, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Hail to the Squirrel!

cbenoistd on December 19, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Hail to the Squirrel!

cbenoistd on December 19, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I can’t use that word around my house – the dogs start whining and barking and run for the back door just at the mention of the word (squirrel (in quiet whisper)).

dentarthurdent on December 19, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I have a suggestion for those three idiots. Perhaps their time and talents would be better spent UNCLUSTERING the Affordable Health Care Act that they inflicted on the nation.

Oh….never mind….that would take intelligence.

GarandFan on December 19, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I mean, you can’t have the Washington Blackskins.

Exactly, imagine trying to have a group like the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) or the United Negro College Fund (UNCF).

You’d be shut down immediately for the racist intolerant and abusive language you’ve used in your… what? Both of those exist?

Hm, how is that possible? Aren’t those offensive outdated terms that shouldn’t be used?

Why not force a name change on them?

gekkobear on December 19, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I mean, you can’t have the Washington Blackskins.

Of course you can’t. You’d need NFL approval to have another team in DC. Then you’d have to get past the trademark issues of the newly created North Pole Blackskins team that the Progs started last week.

Dusty on December 19, 2013 at 3:43 PM

bugsy on December 19, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Too late, Maryland already has the Ravens. :-)

Doomberg on December 19, 2013 at 3:47 PM

How about changing the Senate’s name to The Washington Grafters.

flataffect on December 19, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Or the Whites Only Club.

flataffect on December 19, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I had not ever heard the term “Blackskins” until a Democrat Senator uttered it.

Herald of Woe on December 19, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Dear Injuns Indians Native Americans Members of the Tribal First Nations,

Jim Lennon

Bigot!

/ Just in case.

D-fusit on December 19, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Double Bigot!

/Just in case.

Can we get a “Double Dog Bigot” from somebody, please? :-)

JimLennon on December 19, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Hey harry, embrace the suck…bite us all and go away.

crosshugger on December 19, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Harry Reid should say it to Trent Williams’s face, a la Richard Sherman.

Christien on December 19, 2013 at 1:10 PM

And with a little emphasis from the Legion of Boom!

HiJack on December 19, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I like the name Redskins. It means fierce warriors to me and most sane people.

Blake on December 19, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I like the name, Redskins, because it drives the lefties crazy.

HiJack on December 19, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I like the name Redskins. It means fierce warriors to me and most sane people.

Blake on December 19, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I like the name, Redskins, because it drives the lefties crazy.

HiJack on December 19, 2013 at 5:43 PM

It was also my high school’s team name – and I loved it.
I played hockey wearing a jersey with the exact same logo on it – which of course is also the identical logo for the Chicago Blackhawks.

dentarthurdent on December 19, 2013 at 5:53 PM

The Lefties are so used to getting their way coopting words (tea bag, progressive, et al), expect a huge initiative from the WH by President StompyFoot.

socalcon on December 19, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I like the Washington Crackers personally.

pgrossjr on December 19, 2013 at 6:58 PM

I like the Washington Crackers personally.

pgrossjr on December 19, 2013 at 6:58 PM

No way – that’s horribly offensive.
The Washington part I mean….

dentarthurdent on December 19, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Dear Injuns Indians Native Americans Members of the Tribal First Nations Indigenous Peoples,

Jim Lennon
Bigot!

/ Just in case.

D-fusit on December 19, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Double Bigot!

/Just in case.

Can we get a “Double Dog Bigot” from somebody, please?

JimLennon on December 19, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Double Dog Bigot!!!

/ Just in case

Wanderlust on December 19, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Why do white liberals continuously try to speak for minority groups? I assure you, they do not have these groups’ best interests at heart. Moveover, studies show that less than 5% of the native American population have a problem with the name Redskins.
It’s nothing more than a power grab.

RMCS_USN on December 20, 2013 at 12:44 AM

And with a little emphasis from the Legion of Choom!

HiJack on December 19, 2013 at 5:40 PM

FIFY

Christien on December 20, 2013 at 1:05 AM

“…Snyder has bigger issues in that regard, like Mike Shanahan, a six-game losing streak, and a mediocre defense.”

I blame the Sequester!

Another Drew on December 20, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Actually a team in the NFL named the Blackskins would be great.
They come in the same times as the Kenyans; one NFC one AFC.
Think of the rivalry!

Or, the Bloods and the Crips as franchise teams.
Really put the security out enforce for those games. . . .
‘Course we have that now in the NFL anyway so it would be a bit redundant.

Bubba Redneck on December 20, 2013 at 1:15 AM

The Washington Phil Robertsons.

2Tru2Tru on December 20, 2013 at 1:57 AM

This makes me wonder if a team name like the “Washington Black Caucus” would fly.

oldernwiser on December 20, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Redskins to Reid: Pound sand

…he did!…and it put him in the hospital!

KOOLAID2 on December 20, 2013 at 11:54 AM

It seems like actual Indians, don’t mind the Redskin name similar to when the University of Northern Colorado a few years ago thought they were snarky smart and named their intramural team the “Fighting Whities” in an effort to be blasphemous in stereotypes, but instead the “Whities” loved the mascot so much, sales of the “Fighting Whities” promotional merchandise skyrocketed.

veni vidi vici on December 20, 2013 at 11:56 AM

In recognition of the traditions of the city and the party that runs it, how about the “Washington Murdercrats”?

S. D. on December 20, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I love the way Reedie says “so”. It stretches out, descending in pitch. It’s like a tired sigh.
It’s soooooo condescending. It’s sooooooo Reid!

Marcola on December 22, 2013 at 6:48 PM